Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2006, 04:53   #1

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Haul-out in Jacksonville, Fl

Last year someone gave me the name of a marina where they haul-out each summer (I lost the name). The prices were cheap, but he indicated that there is a waiting list. We will be passing thru J'ville next week and want to get on the list.

Can anyone give recommendations for cheap on-the-hard storage in or near J'ville?

Thanks
Roger & Evans
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 05:55   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
The only cheap place in that area is Green Cove Springs. In fact it's the only cheap place I know of on the whole east coast of FL. The waiting list has over a hundred names on it. There is a yard in St. Mary's GA that hauls a few boats - St. Mary's Boat Services 912 674 5802. If you want cheap storage on the east coast you have to go to NC. By the way if anyone knows a good cheap yard in FL. east coast please share it with us.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:22   #3

i once hauled out and ended up doing a MAJOR refit in st augustine.
http://www.staugustinemarine.com/
i had a wood boat and we found lots of rot, had to replace planking and i pulled the mast and rerigged; we were there for 2 months!
this was quite some time ago, but the yard was very happy with DIY, (which was already becoming extinct in florida and many yards would not haul us because it was a wood boat!); the manager was very encouraging and they matched west marine prices when we ordered supplies from them. it was a very productive haul out; we did all our own work and the yard really impressed me as honest and helpful.
i have also hauled twice at the glades, which is on the ockeechobee waterway; prices were good, but you are very much on your own out there and far from marine stores or shopping of any kind and any repair advise from the management is best ignored imo.
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:35   #4

Boat: 1977 Kelly Peterson 44
I'll second St Augustine Marine, I've hauled out with those guys and had a great experience. Very reasonable and cool with DIY.
sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:43   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I am at St. Augustine Marine now and although it is a good yard it is also an expensive one. The rates just went up to $12 per foot per month. That works out to $500 a month for a 40 ft. boat when the taxes are included. Not cheap in my book. This is for long term storage.
Old 06-11-2006, 17:11   #6

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Thanks for the replies. Vasco...Green Cove Springs is the one. Hate to hear that the waiting list is that long, but we will get on it. Hopefully we will still be cruising when our namews come up!!

Thanks
Roger
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 08:49   #7

Boat: 53 foot wooden ketch
Re: Haul-out in Jacksonville, Fl

I would not recommend Green Cove Springs Marina. The docking is horrible, the facility not in good condition and the work performed below average and not acceptable
They used to be a good DIY yard but that is not the case any more
CaptBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 09:06   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Right at the entrance of the St. Johns River at Mayport, J'ville, is the St. Johns Boat company. They have a 100 ton lift there. Nice place.
Call 'em up.
There are some more yards in downtown J'ville, but I hear that they are quite booked up.

St. Augustine has several yards with lifts as well.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 10:16   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

St John's used me as a way print money.

Another inexpensive yard in area is St Mary's Boat Yard.

If just hauling, doing bottom and going back in I have gone to Sandler Point twice. Last time I had them do the bottom paint labor. They charge me any lay days for that and it worked out not a lot more expensive than if I had done the work.

Tags
haul out, jacksonville