Panope was (as a schooner) always very tolerant of an imbalanced sail configuration. I was surprised when last year's sea trial revealed that Panope sails
with a bit too much weather helm
I had designed her new sloop
sail plan to have the center of effort in the same spot (fore and aft) as her old schooner rig. Unfortunately, I did not consider the following factors that I believe are causing the problem:
1 - The center of effort of the new sail plan is higher than previous. When heeled over, this puts the sail's effort further outboard
and therefore induces a greater turning tendency to windward.
2 - I designed the jib
to be sheeted outboard
of the shrouds. This created an excessive sheeting angle and therefore reduced the power of the jib
3 - The old bowsprit
, pulpit, anchor
and associated rigging
was removed and therefore reduced forward windage that formerly produced a turning tendency away from the weather.
4 - I added a pilot house that increased aft windage that now produces a turning tendency to windward.
5 - I cut away a portion of the keel
to accommodate a much larger diameter propeller
. This caused the center of lateral resistance to move forward and therfore increased a tendency to turn to windward.
6 - The portion of the keel
that I removed was just ahead of the rudder
. This, I believe has reduced the rudder's effectiveness.
7 - A propeller
of much larger diameter and blade area is causing a larger area of the rudder
to operate in turbulent flow and further reducing the rudder's effectiveness.
My gut feeling is that the changes that I have made below the waterline are as much a part of the problem as the changes made above the waterline.
Here are my remedies to correct the problem:
1 - I fabricated A new chain plate
at the bow that moves the fore-stay about 1 foot further forward. This moves the C/E of the jib forward and therefore will produce a tuning tendency away from the wind
2 - As a result of moving the fore stay, I can now sheet the jib "inside" the shrouds to new sheet anchors located on the cabin
house top (this, I believe will produce the greatest effect of all my remedies).
3 - I added area to the rudder in the place where the portion of the keel was removed. This should add a bit of power to the rudder and also provide a bit of "balance" to the ole barn door.
4 - I added area to the top of the rudder to close the gap between the rudder and hull
. Should add a bit of power to the rudder.
5- I closed a large gap between the keel (what is left of it) and the rudder.
I have zero training in naval architecture and no racing
background. This whole project
is seat of the pants endeavor. If anyone as something to add, by all means chime in.
Looking forward to the next splash to see if this solves the problem.