Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2018, 09:48   #1

Boat: Grampian 26 SOLD! & (pending sea trial) Catalina 42 MkII
Fresh to Salt water transition- Bottom Paint?

We have bought a fresh water epoxy coated (in 2014) mono currently bathed in VC17. We will undertake a 6-8 week shakedown cruise on Lake Ontario (fresh) this summer with the intention of a St John's - Azores - Gibraltar (salt) transit in June 2019.

The hull is in great shape although the VC17 cladding needs a recoat. Current thinking is to recoat now with VC17 and next spring transition to VC17 Offshore. Although I understand the products are compatible, I have no experience regarding the effectiveness of VC17 Offshore.

I have two questions for those with recent experience with fresh to salt water transition:

1. What are the ups and downs of sticking with VC17 and transitioning to VC17 Offshore next spring?

2. Is there a better bottom coat product that I should consider stripping the VC17 this year and transition now to an effective salt water bottom paint?

All salient answers are most welcome...thanks in advance!
Divevac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:50   #2

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Fresh to Salt water transition- Bottom Paint?

Hi, Dive,
I used VC17 for 20 years on my Lake Michigan boat. It was fine for its purpose as a racing bottom in fresh water but only provided minimal antifouling protection. My advice if the bottom has been freshly painted and in good condition is to leave it alone with the understanding that you'll be scrubbing your bottom with greater frequency than a better saltwater antifoulant and when it has worn off completely, switch to a paint of your choice. Why spend more money? I would not recommend any VC products for saltwater. We have used Petit Hydrcoat for about 20 years on our saltwater boat. I hope this helps. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald

Tags
bottom paint, paint, salt, salt water, water