Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2006, 19:38   #46
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
fstbttms:
You’re right - I’m absolutely wrong.
Nobody frowns on in-water hull cleaning (stripping), the Australians haven’t regulated it, and nobody is ever likely to.
Are you saying that stripping the hull of paint is the same as in-water hull cleaning? Because it is not. I think we can all agree that intentionally removing the paint from a hull while the boat is in the water is a bad thing, no? But that is not what we are discussing here. Also, I have never once in all this thread made a claim about what Australia or any other country is doing regarding regulation, have I? If so, please quote me. I have little knowledge of what any nation besides the U.S. is doing in regards to this subject. But I am quite well informed about what is happening here and this is the only country whose regulation of hull cleaning I have posted about.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 19:50   #47
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui
So, has anyone been using the "Vivid" bottom paint for any length of time? I am using this on the trimaran, but have not heard from anyone who has used it long enough to have a real opinion on it's effectiveness. Since the destructive creatures vary in different areas, and different water temps, it would be good to hear from someone arond the central west coast.
I service a handfull of boats here in the Bay Area that have been using Vivid for the better part of a year. It seems to have great anti fouling properties and works well in this region. I would say it is as good an ablative paint as any I've seen.
Old 12-11-2006, 19:55   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
fstbttms, Gords "Australian" comment was in regards to the reference he made in the same post he supplied the document in.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 20:01   #49
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
fstbttms, Gords "Australian" comment was in regards to the reference he made in the same post he supplied the document in.
I understand that. But I never referenced the Australians and Gord seems to be saying that I'm claiming that they aren't regulating hull cleaning. I'm sure they are. I just never said anything about it.
Old 12-11-2006, 20:04   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No I think he is refering to his comment and that he made a mistake with that also.
Sorry Gord, I shouldn't be putting words in your mouth.

Old 12-11-2006, 20:10   #51
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
No I think he is refering to his comment and that he made a mistake with that also.
Sorry Gord, I shouldn't be putting words in your mouth.
I think he was being sarcastic in his reply to me. Perhaps I'm wrong. If so, my apologies.
Old 12-11-2006, 22:54   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It might be our accents again.;-)

Old 12-11-2006, 22:59   #53
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It might be our accents again.;-)
Too right, mate.
Old 13-11-2006, 01:39   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
fstbttms: I sincerely regret and apologise for my earlier sarcasm (fstbttms percieved correctly, but thanks for the defense Wheels).

Having re-read the thread, I admit that fstbttms has (both) held more closely to the intent & spirit of the specific query, and been “more right”, than I have.

I linked the Washington State Department of Ecology News Release (indeed over 7 years old), which ... directs that boat hulls painted with "soft paints" are not to be cleaned while in the water ...” as unequivocal evidence that there are existing regulations banning in-water hull cleaning in the U.S. (which fstbttms had already particularised for Washington & Ablatives).

I linked the “Code of Practice for Antifouling and In-water Hull Cleaning and Maintenance”, published by the Australian and New Zealand Environment Conservation Council (ANZECC), as it may directly apply to our inverted friends down under, and as a likely and discouraging bellwether (bell-weather ?) for the rest of us.
The Australian EPA advised (Feb 08 2005), in part: http://www.epacomments.sa.gov.au/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=103
”... YOU MUST:
* Not allow in-water hull scraping, or any process that occurs underwater, to remove applied surface coating material from the boat hull unless under extraordinary circumstances when approval by the EPA has been provided ...”

This appears fairly unequivocal, to me.

Wheels tried to put the matter into perspective when he wondered if ”... Is it possible that the view of "hull cleaning" and the article that Gord posted are referring to two very different aspects of the job. Is it possible that the "hull cleaning" from your point of view is as simple as that. Cleaning slime and growth off the hulls, but not removing the paint it's self ...”
fstbttms also tried to clarify the issue, when he wondered if I was ”... saying that stripping the hull of paint is the same as in-water hull cleaning ...”

For the record:
I deliberately avoided any definition of hull-cleaning (scrubbing vs stripping), as an unnecessary differentiation. The two could be (a likely environmentalist slant) viewed as a matter of degree.
Remember the introduction of seat belt and helmet laws? The several millions of ”very pissed-off American” drivers and motorcyclists didn’t alter those cases. We boaters must remember that we are a very soft target.

Weekly waterline brushing, along with monthly hull scrubbing (& perhaps a light scrape on barnacles, if any) has always been an important part of my maintenance regimen. I hope the practice never falls under regulatory control, but I am dubious. It’s sometimes difficult to remain skeptical, without becoming a cynic.

Your contrite correspondent,
Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 01:58   #55

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Ive had discussions with EPA and Harbours and Marine on a few occasions in the Brisbane area about putting in an affordable multihull slipping area.

We used to have them in a couple of clubs, but it was decided that as it was putting sealife and some antifoul back into the water, they would have to close down.

This harbour in particular had a antifoul spill a while ago and is supposedly badly contaminated. No one told the dolphins that, they come in every day.

These authoritys thought it was quite OK for people including me to go to the pristine waters of Moreton Island to clean the bottom using wet and dry sanding blocks.

Does'nt make sense
Old 13-11-2006, 08:31   #56
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Your contrite correspondent,
Gord
A very gentlemanly and well written response, Gord. I think you have summerized not only the issue at hand but the misunderstandings that ran through this thread. If it weren't 8:30 in the morning here, I'd raise a pint to you.

Cheers,

Matt
Old 13-11-2006, 08:50   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Ah fstbttms, I’m compelled remind you that the sun’s always over the yardarm somewhere; and to further opine that it’s the circumstance that prompts the drink (not the hour).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 09:56   #58
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Ah fstbttms, I’m compelled remind you that the sun’s always over the yardarm somewhere; and to further opine that it’s the circumstance that prompts the drink (not the hour).
Words to live by. But since it is a grande no-whip mocha that is in my hand, I raise my 10% recycled paper cup to you with a hearty "Cheers!"

Matt
Old 13-11-2006, 10:20   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The word power at Gords command is indeed immense. I could not even dream of putting words in Gords mouth that would do him justice. :-) Next time I will remember my place ;-)

Now we're even.

Old 14-11-2006, 18:52   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
I hauled out today for winter. Had a handful of barnicles on the hull, but not many. More than last year, however this has been a bad year from what I understand. The West Marine stuff seems to work wonders.. and only $15/year for it.

Hopefully it will go on sale again this year.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote