Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2015, 06:34   #1

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner
Flattening agent for mast?

Having finished my boom, gaff, and jib foot, and initially loving the look, I'm starting to wonder if I should have added a flattening agent to the Interlux Bristol Beige? I can still easily remove the hardware and sand/repaint an additional coat or two with that in there if I like. I'm about ready to start final coats on the mast however so I'll need to decide soon. In my spare time if not in a position to be working on one of my boats then I'm on my IPAD looking at traditional sailing craft. It appears that all the aluminum spars painted a shade of beige are all flat looking not shiny. That might happen with time I suppose. I also wonder if the mast hoops (I've decided to stay with that plan after momentarily wavering) might have an easier time going up and down on a flatter paint? Surely the finish is going to "feel" the same regardless so is this possible friction difference a ridiculous thought?

Lastly, I think maybe as the hoops do their inevitable smudging of the mast, will they possibly be less obvious with a flatter finish?

The right answer could be none of these points are valid, and it could be that some or all are, I'm just looking for opinions and thoughts.
Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:48   #2

Re: Flattening agent for mast?

I think the hoops will shine up the paint as they rub against it, so you'll have partially flat, partially shiny.
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:54   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

hoops shining up paint?? i only ever seen em removing paint.... but then of course a lil soft hoop liner could keep the mast shiny...... most gaffers i have known
have the topmast painted and the mast varnished.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:59   #4

Post Re: Flattening agent for mast?

Yep.

The slightest repetitive friction will ruin a flat finish.

Wanted to paint my whole boat flat, but couldn't due to occasional fender usage.
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:33   #5

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

My first thought of a mast flattening agent was a low bridge.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:41   #6

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatheelrod22 View Post
Having finished my boom, gaff, and jib foot, and initially loving the look, I'm starting to wonder if I should have added a flattening agent to the Interlux Bristol Beige? I can still easily remove the hardware and sand/repaint an additional coat or two with that in there if I like. I'm about ready to start final coats on the mast however so I'll need to decide soon. In my spare time if not in a position to be working on one of my boats then I'm on my IPAD looking at traditional sailing craft. It appears that all the aluminum spars painted a shade of beige are all flat looking not shiny. That might happen with time I suppose. I also wonder if the mast hoops (I've decided to stay with that plan after momentarily wavering) might have an easier time going up and down on a flatter paint? Surely the finish is going to "feel" the same regardless so is this possible friction difference a ridiculous thought?

Lastly, I think maybe as the hoops do their inevitable smudging of the mast, will they possibly be less obvious with a flatter finish?

The right answer could be none of these points are valid, and it could be that some or all are, I'm just looking for opinions and thoughts.
I use Interlux flatting agent mixed in the topcoat on my decks...it is not like the flat paints that many folks are referring to. It produces a very smooth almost slippery finish [not on the non-skid of course]. No glare, extremely easy to keep clean, and very durable.

Get a can and experiment...it is entirely possible that your mast hoops will not "gloss it up" due to the extremely smooth finish it leaves. I used Brightsides with the flatting agent and the results are exactly what I was hoping for.

All the differing opinions in the world are not worth one simple experiment...
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 17:47   #7

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner

Thanks to everyone for the replies. First, to the person with the bridge comment, take pride in knowing that after another pleasant afternoon of working on the boat I'd just settled into my chair with a beer to watch AL vs LSU. The first sip I swallowed partially but spit the rest on my shirt as I read your reply! Good stuff.

To the last reply those are great points and I think I'll try it. I'm going to put coat #2 on tomorrow and put the flattener in for coats three and four.

Gotta' go change my shirt. Roll Tide!!
Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 20:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatheelrod22 View Post
Thanks to everyone for the replies. First, to the person with the bridge comment, take pride in knowing that after another pleasant afternoon of working on the boat I'd just settled into my chair with a beer to watch AL vs LSU. The first sip I swallowed partially but spit the rest on my shirt as I read your reply! Good stuff.

To the last reply those are great points and I think I'll try it. I'm going to put coat #2 on tomorrow and put the flattener in for coats three and four.

Gotta' go change my shirt. Roll Tide!!
You might want to experiment...after a couple of tries the formula that gave the best results for me was 1/1, or 1 quart color to 1 quart flatting agent. Also you only need it in the topcoat; no point wasting it. Sand with 320 if possible to avoid scratches [if your previous coats are smooth] and you will likely be pleasantly surprised.

And of course, if all else fails, try reading the instructions on the label!
Old 07-11-2015, 22:59   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Actually, sir, if you haven't already done it, what it might help you to know is that the flatting agent will make it softer, more prone to being chafed.

Ann
Old 08-11-2015, 10:27   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Actually, sir, if you haven't already done it, what it might help you to know is that the flatting agent will make it softer, more prone to being chafed.

Ann
Actually, my experience with the brands I mentioned make the finish smooth and VERY durable. My decks get a lot of abrasion and use, and the flat finish has held up unbelievably well.

Tags
mast