Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2021, 13:51   #16
bmz

Boat: Irwin Citation 34
Re: Finallize winterized my boat (NY/NJ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Boats stored on the hard up here- indoors our outdoors- suffer from freezing. This thread already covered many elements one must protect. However, the REAL damage is to cored hulls, decks, and very commonly, rudders.
That is one of the reasons why I have always kept my boat in the water for the winter as long as I've owned her--40 years. Water freezing around the hull does not damage it; but most of the area under the water line will remain unfrozen--keeping the interior of the boat relatively warm. I leave an electric heater set at 32° in the boat all winter. It uses very little electricity because of the relatively warm water it sits in. Inasmuch as the interior of the boat does not freeze, I have never suffered from any winter damage.
bmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 14:01   #17

Boat: 1980 Morgan 46 ketch and 2000 Hylas 54
Re: Finally winterized my boat (NY/NJ)

Hanging a zinc or 2 off the stern cant hurt .
rockborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 14:09   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 389
Re: Finallize winterized my boat (NY/NJ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmz View Post
That is one of the reasons why I have always kept my boat in the water for the winter as long as I've owned her--40 years. Water freezing around the hull does not damage it; but most of the area under the water line will remain unfrozen--keeping the interior of the boat relatively warm. I leave an electric heater set at 32° in the boat all winter. It uses very little electricity because of the relatively warm water it sits in. Inasmuch as the interior of the boat does not freeze, I have never suffered from any winter damage.
You live in Annapolis which is very different than Northern states. If we left our boat in the water over winter, it would be crushed by the ice.
cymeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 19:19   #19
bmz

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

We have had thick ice in the Annapolis area many years over the last 40. I can remember when my teenage kids would go out to the middle of our deep Creek and light a campfire at night where all the kids would stay out around it for many hours. We have had ice boat races on the Severn River--so we have had plenty of ice. As long as the ice is not moving (like in a river with a current) ice will not damage your hull.
bmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 19:30   #20

Boat: Catalina 36

What plans did you make for the septic system ?
Catboat Willy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat