Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2015, 15:07   #1

Fairleads for halyards

I have a 1980 vintage Mirage 27 (Montreal built). At present the internal halyards exit through holes? on port side of mast, then to double blocks to cockpit. I want to install fairleads? i think that's what they are called, to stop any abrasion on the rope halyards. Don't know what type of mast, have been looking at all sorts of fixes, what should i be looking at before i install? have seen some with sheaves, some with just the shaped metal. what is best and easier to install?
Halifax Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 15:20   #2

Re: Fairleads for halyards

Sheaves/blocks are obviously better! Less friction! But, then what is wrong with the way it is already set up. The halyards leave the holes to port, down the mast to the deck to some type of fair lead to the cockpit?! Yes ! No?
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 15:49   #3

at present main halyard is at mast, want to bring it back to cockpit. Have 2 "holes" what are they called anyway? in the port side of mast, spin and jib halyard come thru there. Can you put 2 halyards thru the same place? not sure if that is right, seems like they would get jammed. There is a third hole starboard side and can use that, just have to figure out how to run back to cockpit. That would fix all but only have an organizer on port side. Would have to add another on starboard and like most sailors i am cheap!!
Old 29-10-2015, 16:40   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Fairleads for halyards

Take a photo of your halyards and mast exits and maybe someone here will be able to offer a suggestion. It is common for internal halyards to exit through the mast side several feet above the deck. These holes are usually finished with some type of protective plastic material to reduce chafe. The halyard then runs either to a cleat on the mast or to a block at the base of the mast and back to the cockpit.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 17:10   #5

Or they go down to winches. Also there are usually s.s. bars across the bottoms of the exit holes, so the halyards don't do any damage to the mast, when raising, and lowering.
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 17:29   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Click image for larger version

Name:	exit.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	111834

Exit Plate/ Flat for up to 1/2 Line 34-46 [34-46] - $20.75 : Schaefer Marine, Inc.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 05:09   #7

good ideas, exactly what i was looking for. will go to boat today and get some pictures. Don't have anything in the holes, no stainless or plastic to protect lines. There is some wear on the openings from lines moving, no grooves, just evident wear on downside. The fairleads, they just rivet in? or very short screws to protect from line catching inside?

Tags
halyard