Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2015, 10:30   #16

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Edson Wheel Tiller Glassed On Sheave Support Blocks

I don't think cloth is the best on these, a bit on the lite side ,but 1.5 oz mat is good.
I'm wondering how tight those steering wires are pulled in that set up.
At the quadrant, just enough tension is needed to keep the steering wire in the grooves of the pulleys and turning blocks.
Seems like the turning blocks are in pretty good alignment, if the wire isn't pulling thru the sheaves in an aligned position, or/and the wire tension is too much they could be compromised.
Loosen the wire tension and maybe that will help the breakage issue.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:53   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Edson Wheel Tiller Glassed On Sheave Support Blocks

That the blocks are pulling away from the hull means poor preparation of the bonding surfaces and probably poor choice of bonding material. Epoxy is the resin of choice here but the hull surface and block surface also have to be cleaned and degreased. All bonding surfaces should be wetted down with epoxy and then mated together using thickened epoxy before the first coat of epoxy has cured. The mating surfaces have to be prepared so that there is a good solid bond, roughed up to provide some tooth and then glassed over top to spread out the bonding area and add more support to to the bond. Before any sanding takes place on the hull wash thoroughly with detergent and water to remove the possibility of epoxy bloom. Then clean with degreaser and sand and prepare the mating surfaces.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:12   #18

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Re: Edson Wheel Tiller Glassed On Sheave Support Blocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
That the blocks are pulling away from the hull means poor preparation of the bonding surfaces and probably poor choice of bonding material. Epoxy is the resin of choice here but the hull surface and block surface also have to be cleaned and degreased. All bonding surfaces should be wetted down with epoxy and then mated together using thickened epoxy before the first coat of epoxy has cured. The mating surfaces have to be prepared so that there is a good solid bond, roughed up to provide some tooth and then glassed over top to spread out the bonding area and add more support to to the bond. Before any sanding takes place on the hull wash thoroughly with detergent and water to remove the possibility of epoxy bloom. Then clean with degreaser and sand and prepare the mating surfaces.

Shouldn't be that much tension on the wires, to pull those blocks off.
Unless they were put on with glass tape, or cloth, which they were.
Wire tension should be minimal, alignment is really important.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edson, wheel