Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2012, 11:44   #46
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser
Re: Dangerous Propane Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Photos make me cringe!.
Most of the others raise my hair too, but I was addressing one specific case.
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 12:00   #47

Boat: 33ft sloop

You need to have the correct property flexible tube
Pressed tube couplings are not necessarily better than double clamped ones.
They serve their purpose by same technique.
Or, do you have another way to mount rubber to copper and avoiding clamps or pressed couplings?
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 12:48   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Repeat of post #38

Sub part J, all of the 183.5xx, applicability is found in 183.501. Do you have gasoline engines in your boat? If no, then this sub part does not apply to you. There is no section on diesels.

§ 183.501 Applicability.
(a) This subpart applies to all boats
that have gasoline engines, except outboard engines, for electrical generation, mechanical power, or propulsion.

Part 183 is for recreational vessels.

definitions for for part 183 found at 183.3

Boat means any vessel—

(1) Manufactured or used primarily for noncommercial use;

(2) Leased, rented, or chartered to another for the latter's noncommercial use; or

(3) Operated as an uninspected passenger vessel subject to the requirements of 46 CFR chapter I, subchapter C.

That is what I said. These rules are intended for Gasoline and generally commercial - inspected vessels. The only clear direct reference to diesel in all this tower of Babel is an exception that your tank lines may come from the bottom of the tank. Therse rules are pretty logical for a change. Boat fires and explosions are by far mostly with propane, CNG, gasoline. The inherent sefety you get with diesel prevents all but the least capable, least prepared from getting hurt. As I noted above, even the CG guys didn't know what to tell me.

On my own system, I read between the lines and did what I knew to be the best reasonable practices. I worked as a professional engineer for 40 years in chemical plants with tanks, valves pumps and flamable hydrocarbons. I have five interconnected diesel tanks. Each has a shut-off valve with metal to metal seats before there is any hose. This is not in any rule but I know I will likely be able to isolate any tank no mater what might go wrong. I used only red brass. Also not 'required' but the original red brass valves were still working after 27 years. I am won't consider saving 50 cents on junk valves and risk my vessel or inspection in a foreign port. Nor do I wish to argue with my underwriter about my massive oil spill.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, danger