Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 02:02   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Re: Mark Johnson spoke the truth about Coppercoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Three pics, taken two days ago, of a Valiant 40 coated in Coppercoat, and last hauled six months ago. Pretty much says everything. Mark Johnson tried to edumacate me, but I insisted on eating the books. Thank you Mark. Time period was May to October, 2012, in San Diego Bay, water temp below 70 degrees F. This boat was side-tied to me for that period, and needed some haulout work prior to cruising south on the Ha-Ha. On the way to the yard, they were able to get only 4 1/5 knots, then noticed that the seawater flow was restricted to the engine. Heavy tube worm growth in the thruhull and entire hull area, as well as tunicates. The green band is the Coppercoat that was above the waterline. They had raised the waterline due to that condition that seems to affect cruising craft about to depart. The fresh Coppercoat is as heavily encrusted as the existing base coat below it.
Somebody pointed me in the direction of this post and asked me to respond since they knew that we'd used Coppercoat and were in San Diego quite a bit with it.

Are you SURE that is it Coppercoat? That just really, really, really doesn't look right. We were in San Diego with brand new Coppercoat April 2009-Feb 2010 and it only required a bit of "dusting off" of...fluffy stuff and a little bit of using a scotch-brite pad on some small (half the size of a dime) pink-red disks that were managing to attach themselves here and there. Hubby dove on the boat every 2 months while we were there. Went up to Newport Harbor and Channel Islands 2/2010-6/2010. Cleaned the bottom in May in Newport Harbor. Mud on the bottom wiped away, not a lot of other stuff on it.

Always have a big "tumbleweed" of stuff around the prop if we're staying still for more than a month--that prop is Bronze and doesn't have any anti-foul on it.

Spent 6/2010-11/2010 wandering around between So Cal and SF Bay including the Delta. Had a haulout look-and-see at Napa Valley (excellent prices) in 6/2010 only 14 months after our launch in San Diego 4/2009. We raised the waterline a bit and put on a bootstripe (purpose of the haulout) and all looked spiffy at that time. Topside paint had been in the water and would get a fringe of green on it quickly.

Spent 11/2010-8/2011 mostly in San Diego. Hubby cleaned the bottom about every 2 months. Wipe down, nothing major except a fluffy tumbleweed at the prop one time.

8/2011-10/2011 wandering around again between So. Cal and Nor. Cal.

11/2011-present hanging out in SFBay. Muddy up here, so we'll pick up a bid of mud on a quarter section of the hull sometimes depending on where we're berthed and what we're doing. Hubby took a break from cleaning the hull over the winter--so no cleaning between 11/2011 and 4/2012. Found a dark (blackish) biofilm on the hull under the fluffy mud. Assume biofilm and not just another level of oxidizing of the coppercoat. He scrubbed it off with scotch-brite saying it was hard to get off and wondering if perhaps it actually was additional oxidation of the coppercoat. No real growth--oh, except for a big, BIG tumbleweed of stuff around the prop.

4/2012 to present cleaning every 2 months or so. Only Bay mud to wipe off.

That's it.

I think that your pics of all that growth are pretty impossible in San Diego Bay with new coppercoat, based upon our experience with the same. Perhaps it was something completely different than coppercoat.

Fair winds,
Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:00   #17
Marine Service Provider

Re: Coppercoat by Aquarius Marine Coatings UK

For those that want to read further real-life experiences and tests of Coppercoat there is a file of magazine articles on the Facebook page: www.facebook.com/antifoul
Ewan Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:26   #18

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

The owners of the boat, shown encrusted with marine growth, gave me the leftover material to test on my centerboard. I believe you can confirm it is the selfsame Coppercoat, or maybe not. The boat is now deep into the warmer waters of Baja California and beyond. They bought a hookah rig to allow them to keep scrubbing the hull. Perhaps we'll hear more from them in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0234.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	49415  
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:40   #19
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
The owners of the boat, shown encrusted with marine growth, gave me the leftover material to test on my centerboard. I believe you can confirm it is the selfsame Coppercoat, or maybe not.
The packaging looks like the product we are discussing here. As far as redbopeep's experience with Coppercoat goes (assuming it is Aqaurius Coppercoat) I can assure her that her findings in the Bay Area are the exception, rather than the norm. I wonder, in fact, if she is keeping her boat in the brackish (and therefore, low-fouling) waters of the Delta, rather than in the Bay proper. Nobody I know (including myself) here in the Bay would ever describe Coppercoat as a coating that is particularly easy to clean.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:52   #20
Marine Service Provider

Hi Roy - that picture does indeed look like a pot of the base resin used in our Coppercoat. If it says "Coppercoat" and "Aquarius Marine Coatigns Ltd" on the label than it's safe to assume that it is our product. Hopefully you also have the bottle of epoxy hardener to go with it!

It is rare for anybody to have any "spare" Coppercoat, as 99% of customers buy only the correct amount and no more. When we come across "spare" product it is usually from jobs where an insufficiently thick coating has been applied - and this just leads to poor performance (which just might explain the pictures posted earlier). But of course, I hasten to add that I am not fully familiar with all the details relating to this particular application.

Coppercoat needs to be applied at a finished rate of no less than one litre package (3 kg) per 4 m2. (i.e. if you are treating a yacht with 40 m2 of wetted area, a minimum of 10 litres must be applied in total).
Old 08-11-2012, 10:21   #21
Marine Service Provider

Hi Fstbttms - it's interesting that you say that nobody finds it easy to clean. Given how few boats there are with Coppercoat in SF I'm surprised that many people even have genuine direct experience of cleaning Coppercoat. Not unless all you boat cleaners are fighting over cleaning the same one boat!

Actually, many yards tell us that Coppercoat treated boats are quicker and easier to clean than those treated with conventional anti-foul. As one quick example, a company called SeaLift 2 (www.sealift2.com) are currently offering a 25% discount to all Coppercoat-treated boats that book a standard lift-and-clean service. I suppose it just goes to show that different people have different experiences - which stands to reason given that all anti-fouls show variations in performance from location to location, from boat to boat, and from year to year.

But at least we can both be happy that this thread now contains a genuine report from a Coppercoat user with first-hand experience of this particular individual product (and not just any other other generic copper/epoxy) in the SF Bay area.

It sounds as though the boat stays clean enough to keep the owner happy, but that it does eventually get dirty and require cleaning from time to time (which should please you and be good for your business). It's good news for the boat owner, good news for us as the anti-foul manufacturer, and good news for you as the hull scrubber - we all win!
Old 08-11-2012, 10:23   #22

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

The boat in question had extended their boot top another 6 inches, as they discovered the magic effects of adding spares and provisions for a long duration cruise. The work was performed by Driscoll Marine in San Diego. You can probably call them for details of the application. I believe the owners told me that Driscolls had experience with it previously. Both the original bottom coating, as well as the boot top extension, were the same material. Both, after six months of immersion and no monthly scrubdowns (owners got distracted by health emergencies and massive preparation demands), they noticed the heavy fouling at the waterline. They rehauled at Driscoll's for repair, which entailed heavy sanding of the Coppercoat to "refresh" it. They now plan to aggressively scrub the bottom, using a hookah rig, for the duration of their cruise. It will be interesting to hear of their adventures. Since they are fellow yacht club members, as well as friends, I expect that information will be forthcoming. I'll pass on their comments when available. Personally, like Mark Johnson, I was originally hopeful as to the product. Having heard the debate, I am more conservative in my expectations. In San Diego, we are especially in need of superior antifouling options. At the moment, though, and in acute need of a haulout, I am leaning heavily to the tried and true Proline 1088 high copper antifouling paint I have used for many years. It's the devil you know versus the devil you don't.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:06   #23
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ewan, in-water hull cleaning and out-of-water pressure washing are two completely different things. I do not consider opinions offered by boatyard personnel regarding the relative ease of cleaning any anti fouling product to be particularly valid.
Old 21-11-2012, 18:07   #24

I am leaning towards using Coppercoat on my 82 bristol 35.5.

My bottom needs some work after hurricane Sandy, and I think this is as good a time as any to put on a barrier coat and switch to Coppercoat antifouling.

I am on the Long Island sound and have had boats moored here most of my life. There is no legal antifouling I know of that will go an entire season without needing to be cleaned to avoid build up.

Last season, I cleaned my bottom 3-4 times to keep up with the growth, using interlux ablative paint and if Coppercoat performs as well, I'll be happy.

What I really want to avoid is painting the boat every year and swimming in a cloud of copper every time I need to clean.

If anybody has any experience on the Long Island Sound, I'd love to hear it. If not, I'm happy to report back.

I'm also interested in hearing any best practices using Coppercoat over a newly applied barrier coat.

Thanks
shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 18:19   #25

We have had our boat in Narragansett Bay with copper coat for three seasons. A little growth at the water line that needs attention, but every boat I look at in the marina regardless of anti-fouling paint. It's awesome in the spring, just a quick stiff brush and she is ready to go
Whaubner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 18:40   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaubner
We have had our boat in Narragansett Bay with copper coat for three seasons. A little growth at the water line that needs attention, but every boat I look at in the marina regardless of anti-fouling paint. It's awesome in the spring, just a quick stiff brush and she is ready to go
Thanks!

Glad to hear.
Old 22-11-2012, 02:07   #27
Marine Service Provider

Hi Shamrock - your best option is to contact Jim Edwards of Coppercoat USA LLC. He will be able to offer advice and provide details on application, delivery and cost.

He may even be able to give information regarding other Coppercoat users in your area.

His email is jim@coppercoatusa.com or info@coppercoatusa.com (and somewhat predictably, the web address is www.coppercoatusa.com).
Old 24-11-2012, 13:12   #28

Our copper coat was applied new in the UK in 2008. The last 3 summers we have been in Narragansett Bay as previously posted. Here. Is a pic after haul and pressure wash this month. Sorry I didn't see it prior to the pressure wash
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-849874550.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	50177  
Whaubner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 18:31   #29

Looks great!

I contacted and have heard back from Jim.

Thanks,

Jay
Old 24-11-2012, 18:51   #30
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
Looks great!

I contacted and have heard back from Jim.

Thanks,

Jay
A post pressure wash pic is indicative of nothing, certainly not the product's performance.

Any chance you'll be sharing whatever it is the Coppercoat rep told you or do we have to guess?

Tags
marine