Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 22:39   #1

Boat: Endeavour 37
Cockpit Hatch to Access Generator

I have conumdrum. I am finally getting around to working on the Westerbeke 4k generator located behind my Perkins. It's running fine but is not putting out current to the outlets. Something I hope is quite simple, but it appears only a chimpanzee skilled in testing electrical outputs is able to squeeze in there to find out. My solution is to install a hatch in the floor of the cockpit of sufficient size to not only access the generator but to remove it if necessary. Of course, at first the very thought of cutting a giant hole in such a vulnerable place made me put the idea on the back burner. However, it appears the chimpanzees in the know are on strike and I have come right back to square one. Has anyone installed a cockpit floor hatch? If so, please point me in the direction of a good hatch manufacturer and any reinforcement concerns to which I should pay attention. Or is this just a bad idea?
pjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 23:16   #2

Ugh. But that is probably what you must do. You may need to support the edges of the opening as cutting a hole weakens a floor, unless the hatch frame is stout. Someone here will know who makes the cool flush marine hatch covers.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 23:55   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Here is a well known brand of hatches.

Pompanette LLC.

But, first, I think I would goto some Endeavour 37 forums and find out what others have done.

Cutting a big hole in the cockpit is OK if done properly. Which means sealing the core, installing a good hatch that can support the weight, have drains in the hatch scuppers and be water tight.
Old 12-10-2010, 00:51   #4

Boat: Endeavour 37
Thanks Daddle and Del. I needed a bit a reassurance before I went crazy with the jig saw. Daddle thanks for advice on supporting the edges, that made sense to me. Especially, since it's an area where crew will be jumping onto with all their weight. Del,Thanks for the Pompanette site. I forgot about them. They made the Hood roller furler on my previous boat. Which operated without hitch for years and still is according to her current owner. May I ask that when you say "sealing the core." I assume you mean coating the exposed area of the cockpit floor with a fiberglass sealant to prevent moisture from entering the core?
pjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:46   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjop View Post
May I ask that when you say "sealing the core." I assume you mean coating the exposed area of the cockpit floor with a fiberglass sealant to prevent moisture from entering the core?
Exactly! Depending on the type of core as to the method of sealing. Epoxy is a better sealer.

If it were foam cored then digging out 1/4" all the way around and filling it with an epoxy filler.

If it were wood then mixing a thinned out epoxy (10:1 w/MEK) paint onto the wood and edges. This will soak into the wood about 1/8" and seal the edge. The hotter the weather the better.

If no core then no problem.

Also you'll want to seal any holes that you drill for fasteners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drillmotor.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	20036   Click image for larger version

Name:	syringe.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	20037  

Old 12-10-2010, 14:30   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
... If no core then no problem.
Also you'll want to seal any holes that you drill for fasteners.
Seal the cut edges of, even, solid laminate.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator