Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2013, 10:05   #1

Boat: Virgo Voyager 23' / Steady 8' dinghy
Send a message via Skype™ to Skipper Solo
Cockpit engine hatch woes

Hello there! I have a Virgo Voyager motorsailer in which the cockpit engine hatch is fastened by 18 (!) screws. I'm looking for an inexpensive, watertight solution which makes opening/closing the hatch a breeze. Any solutions out there?
Old 21-05-2013, 10:07   #2

Re: Cockpit engine hatch woes

an Aluminum Freeman Hatch could be installed in the existing hatch.... ? http://www.freemanmarine.com/Hatches2400Summary.htm

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 11:06   #3

Boat: Virgo Voyager 23' / Steady 8' dinghy
Send a message via Skype™ to Skipper Solo

Had a look, don't quite match the 'inexpensive' criterium... Also, the hatch is a rather odd trapezoid shape which doesn't seem to be covered. The current hatch is made from plywood. Here's a pic of the general landscape: http://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/archives/...ckpit-aft2.jpg

The main issue is finding a way to fasten it in a lockable, quick-release, watertight manner, as much DIY as possible.
Old 21-05-2013, 11:10   #4

Yeah, they have gotten expensive. They have fancy ones and basic ones... but even the basic are pretty spendy now. I had the same problem as you and put one in (years ago) and it was a godsend for working on the engine, just open the hatch and crawl in there... daylight helps to see things very well!
I see from your pic that it is hinged... and it also has all those screws huh....? I would think the hinge would keep it from sealing well on that side. Do you get any leakage now? You could install a bunch of T bolt dogs on the inside... if it's possible to reach them. Maybe one on each end and two on each side. Wouldnt be super handy but better than undoing all those screws..

There used to be some bronze ones from taiwan that were inexpensive and used a simple T bolt and very secure hook arrangement. Cant find them, but they were a simpler, more secure version of this:

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 11:23   #5

replacing my engine hatch at moment, using 3/4 marine ply with thread master non slip matting on the top surface, I'm using a rubber seal on he underside to match the profile of the aluminum frame on the cockpit opening. a simple plate with a u slot cut is attached to the top side of the hatch this allows the hatch to be held shut using a swivel bolt which is attached next to the forward cockpit drain. If you want to ensure it is water tight, You could also make a plug out of ply on the under side of the hatch to seat against the internal frame (wine bottle cork concept). the main cause of any leakage in my experience is as a result of blocked drains so you may need to look at these as well, so folks have diverted these to the transom instead of the hull underside
moddym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, engine, hatch