Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2011, 08:04   #16

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35
Re: Ceiling Material

Plastpro Veranda 6-Piece 3 ft. x 7-1/4 in. x 1/4 in. Vinyl Reversible Panel Wainscot Moulding

Model # 0101
Store SKU # 639948

Sorry, I got it at Home depot not Lowes. Above is the SKU# if your store doesn't have it in stock. The cost is about 22.00 for a package of three long panels or 6 of the shorter panels. It is reversable wide/narrow plank. We chose the narrow as the scale worked better and was more traditional looking. The stuff was really easy to work with.
Old 27-09-2011, 09:23   #17

Boat: Irwin sloop

I lost a boat to fire 21 years ago. It had a beautiful vinyl overhead the full length of the boat. The fire started in the galley(electrical short circuit?) and caught the curtains on fire and when it touched the vinyl overhead it reacted like napalm, the entire interior was flames dripping from the ceiling to everything below it. In ten seconds or less I was driven to the cockpit with my hair and clothing singed, there was barely time to drop the dinghy and escape. The speed and intensity of a vinyl fire is astonishing and the smoke is so thick and black you can't see the flames. There wasn't time to fight the fire because it advanced so quickly, and the first whiff of smoke chokes and blinds you, I was coughing up nasty crap for a week. I apologize for the rant, I guess vinyl ceilings still scare me.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 09:38   #18

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I lost a boat to fire 21 years ago. It had a beautiful vinyl overhead the full length of the boat. The fire started in the galley(electrical short circuit?) and caught the curtains on fire and when it touched the vinyl overhead it reacted like napalm, the entire interior was flames dripping from the ceiling to everything below it. In ten seconds or less I was driven to the cockpit with my hair and clothing singed, there was barely time to drop the dinghy and escape. The speed and intensity of a vinyl fire is astonishing and the smoke is so thick and black you can't see the flames. There wasn't time to fight the fire because it advanced so quickly, and the first whiff of smoke chokes and blinds you, I was coughing up nasty crap for a week. I apologize for the rant, I guess vinyl ceilings still scare me.
Good point though!

Plastic IS Plastic and toxic if burning, which IS produced from petro. I prefer wood (door panels) or cloth covered wood.
Old 27-09-2011, 09:52   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Thanks for pointing that out....I'll have to get the ole' bic lighter out and do some testing on some scraps..I have no idea how flammable this stuff is..
The good news is I have a 100% brand new, first class electrical system...and no curtains.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 09:58   #20

The beaded board wainscoating material is available in pine wood. I've seen it unfinished or primed white. The 3ft vinyl might be hard to make nice in some longer applications also..... Maybe anywhere but near the galley?....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 10:53   #21

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The beaded board wainscoating material is available in pine wood. I've seen it unfinished or primed white. The 3ft vinyl might be hard to make nice in some longer applications also..... Maybe anywhere but near the galley?....
I've seen the pine wood bead board at home depot and am going with that. I like the idea of it because I can paint it to match the paint job on all other surfaces.
Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 11:11   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon

Take care about it expanding and contracting with different levels of humidity...it can be a disaster if you're not careful.
Old 27-09-2011, 11:18   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
Take care about it expanding and contracting with different levels of humidity...it can be a disaster if you're not careful.
That's my concern with non-marine woods/plastics, is absorption, especially in the tropics.
Old 27-09-2011, 11:22   #24

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Cheechako and Beersmith are going to use what I've used in some of my applications. You can make it any color or keep it natural and it applies easily with screws or glue.
Makes a nice overhead interior. You can use it for ceilings (sides of the interior next to the hull) too but usually folks like to use spaces between wood on the ceilings to have ventilation.
kind regards
Old 27-09-2011, 11:29   #25

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter

Quote:
I'm hoping a good seal with epoxy, primer and paint will help with that.
Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 12:06   #26

Find a Vinyl, or better yet a polyurethane that meets FMVSS 302 standards. Essentially the standard states “material shall not burn, nor transmit a flame front across its surface at a rate of more than four inches per minute.”

I usehttp://www.morbern.com/search_return.php?market[1]=75&page=1

I get it for around $7 a yard (cheaper than lots of vinyls) and it's much more luxurious/leathery feeling. It's essentially pleather.

Don't use an open cell foam. It's cheaper, but as stated it degrades and crumbles after a few years. Use a closed cell landau foam.

Oh, I build RV's.
Mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 12:18   #27

Boat: Ohlson 38

While I admire the effort and creativity some people put into finding low maintenance and low cost alternatives to natural wood, I wonder whether in doing so we lose something really important in the process? Maybe i'm just a traditionalist, but I much prefer the beauty of natural wood for a headliner.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 12:29   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
While I admire the effort and creativity some people put into finding low maintenance and low cost alternatives to natural wood, I wonder whether in doing so we lose something really important in the process? Maybe i'm just a traditionalist, but I much prefer the beauty of natural wood for a headliner.
I think it's the refraction of light (light colors) that some are after. That's why I would go with a cloth cover. Plus it's easily replaceable.
Old 27-09-2011, 13:06   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
I agree, as far as looks goes, painted wood is tough to beat.
But since many boats (certainly mine) are a work in progress, the ability to chase wires and add or subtract deck fittings/equipment....as well as look after cored decks, means being able to remove the headliner easily.
This trumps optimal looks IMO.
One thing I tried to be faithful to when doing my refit was to provide access to everywhere.
As we know...its all about compromise
Old 27-09-2011, 13:45   #30

Quote:
One thing I tried to be faithful to when doing my refit was to provide access to everywhere.
As we know...its all about compromise
Right on!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	insidetrack.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	32144   Click image for larger version

Name:	moonblock_bk_plt.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	32145