Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2013, 15:33   #61

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter
Re: Can this hull be fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor
Funny thing is...all this talk about engineering, stresses that can cause repairs to pop out and such, I find pretty amusing when you consider that there are many boats out there built over 50 years ago, that have done just fine. They have been through a line up of different owners, each doing their own repairs. Some good...some not so good. Some how they are still floating looking for yet another new owner. Life goes on."

Right on the money there!

Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 17:54   #62

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Unfortunately there are lot's of boats that sink (I'm in the salvage business) because of poorly done epoxy and polyester repairs.
Really???...I'd like to see some of those. I started building boats in Eastern Canada in 1975. I've been on the left coast since 1979. Still have not seen one boat that sank due to a bad poly or epoxy job. Broken thru-hulls, yes. Broken dock water hose hooked up to the plumbing system, yes. Engine siphon back, yes. Maybe you can show us a few of these poor repairs.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 18:41   #63

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Don't have a library of them like you don't have a page of statistics to prove your point either.....

You are just pissy bescause a shipwright came on here and made you look silly...not my fault.

The last big boat I was around that sank from a bad epoxy job was a Carolina boat that I don't reacall the name but was for sale at Boat World Marina Phone (856) 785-9878 ask for Jeff.

I could go on but I think my point was made and supported well enough.

I can let it all go..can you?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 18:51   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Don't have a library of them like you don't have a page of statistics to prove your point either.....

You are just pissy bescause a shipwright came on here and made you look silly...not my fault.

The last big boat I was around that sank from a bad epoxy job was a Carolina boat that I don't reacall the name but was for sale at Boat World Marina Phone (856) 785-9878 ask for Jeff.

I could go on but I think my point was made and supported well enough.

I can let it all go..can you?
Now come on...drop the little attitude. Minaret didn't disagree with anyone...just offered his way of doing things. I listed the first 3 articles about epoxy. Geeeez guy...do what you want with it. I pretty much figured you would come up with some rubbish to support your theories. Why not just allow people here to go with their ideas?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 14-07-2013, 18:58   #65

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

because two posts in a row insinuated epoxy as the "fix all" solution..me and someone else knew better (and probably many more)...and someone else can't let it go...transmission out
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 19:20   #66

Well the old saying...Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy...
So you feel better...lets just say you won and call it a day. good grief!
Old 14-07-2013, 21:52   #67

Boat: Island Packet 40

Hi westernspirit.

From the photos it appears that your keel is bolted on. This being the case the keel to hull fairing serves little structural purpose at all and is mainly there for streamlining and appearance purposes.

In order to ascertain whether your hull is still structurally sound you need to find out what has happened to the structure the keel is bolted to and which carry the stresses generated by the keel into the hull structure.

Depending on what the floors were fabricated from it may just be that there has been slight crushing of the floor material and that this has allowed a slight gap to form between keel and hull and that this is what created the cracks in the fairing.

If this is what has occurred then it is not a very big job to fix and your boat is definitely fixable. If they still exist I would seek advice from the original designer or builder.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 23:39   #68

Boat: 1985 Pearson 36 Sloop Western Spirit
Send a message via ICQ to westernspirit

Thanks RaymondR. The cracks are not at the keel hull joint but above that where hull forms keel stem. At this point can't tell depth, survey starts in morning hopefully will be doing some grinding tomorrow. Will let you all know. Thanks to all for education9as usual) and others for moral support.
westernspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 07:47   #69

I hope it works out well with you and if you have it fixed, I would be curious as to the procedure and materials used.
Old 20-07-2013, 00:59   #70
CNH

There was a mention earlier in the thread of my boat and the problems I had with it [http://www.channelpilot.info/prospero.php]

In my case, the hull delaminated. Reading all the talk of adhesives etc, can anyone tell me what adhesive is normally used for bonding the foam to the outer hull in a foam sandwich construction?
CNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 03:45   #71
Armchair Bucketeer

I remember reading your experience a few years back (via YBW?) - "ouch" does not quite cover it, a cautionary tale for others........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 05:06   #72

Typically the inner and outer skins are not bonded with "adhesive" but rather bond "mechanically" to the coarse surface of the foam or balsa core at the time of lay up of the skins.

Polyester resin typically used in older boats are somewhat notorious for having limited adhesive qualities and ability to form secondary chemical bonds whereas Epoxy is considered quite excellent in these areas.

With foam cores it is essential that the material itself has sufficient strength and limited "friability" or the result will be that the skin comes off and takes part of the foam with it.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 10:45   #73
CNH

That's really why I'm asking. My hull looked as though the outer skin was built in the mould, adhesive screeded on, then the foam bricks pushed into the adhesive. Would that the wrong way to do it?
CNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 11:58   #74

Boat: PETERSON 44
I think vacuuming bagging has changed the way it's done now days. That was a common build method the outer glass is layed up on the mold and then the core panels pressed into a thick resin.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull