Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2014, 07:55   #16
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Bottom Cleaning in the Baltic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Fstbttms can provide super expert advice on what to use to scrape the bottom. I use the large green or white 3m pads, along with a stiff wire brush and stiff scraper for the prop, shaft and anodes. A plastic scraper is also a good tool for scraping, depending on the type of growth.
The rule of thumb is to always clean the hull with the gentlest tool you can use to get the job done (if you value your anti fouling paint, that is.) Of course, what that tool turns out to be is completely dependant on the state of fouling on your hull. Generally speaking, a scraper is not a good every day cleaning tool for painted surfaces and if it's use is required, you have waited too long to clean your hull. As Kenomac indicated, 3M Doodlebug pads in white (soft) or green (medium) are hopefully the most abrasive materials that ever touch your bottom paint.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 08:10   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Not odd at all. Three months is plenty long enough for an underwater garden to grow in regions where fouling is high.
It was more like 3 weeks!

But Fstbttms is of course right -- sea life grows in mysterious ways. I've been in the water five or six months sometimes just to lift and find nothing but light slime, and other times some kind of plague comes from nowhere and screws up your bottom in what seems like days.

All the more reason to take control and dive your own bottom -- I like this idea more and more and more.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 08:30   #18
cruiser

I kind of look forward to the monthly inspection and gentle cleaning required... I feel more in control. I've had good diving and cleaning companies in Southern California, who sent me monthly pictures over the internet, but there's nothing like seeing everything first hand and dealing with it as necessary. Plus, when your expensive spade anchor eventually gets fouled, you'll be able to take care of the problem easily by yourself.... It will happen.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 08:36   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I kind of look forward to the monthly inspection and gentle cleaning required... I feel more in control. I've had good diving and cleaning companies in Southern California, who sent me monthly pictures over the internet, but there's nothing like seeing everything first hand and dealing with it as necessary. Plus, when your expensive spade anchor eventually gets fouled, you'll be able to take care of the problem easily by yourself.... It will happen.
This seems like really good advice

I can say that I am nervous about what's going on underwater if I haven't been out in a couple of months. I worry about anodes falling off (happens with prop anodes), weird growth, etc., etc., etc.

Seeing the underwater bits more often seems like a really good idea. Of course it's not economical to lift out more often, so diving is really the only way to do that.
Old 23-06-2014, 08:38   #20
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Dockhead. You could always just swim down with a snorkel and have a look!!

Occam's razor and all thAt

Dave
Old 23-06-2014, 08:55   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Dockhead. You could always just swim down with a snorkel and have a look!!

Occam's razor and all thAt

Dave
That's exactly what I would do -- in warmer climes. I am now above 60 degrees latitude and the water is 16 degrees -- dry suit territory. You can't snorkel in a dry suit.

And if you could have a short look at your bottom with a snorkel, you couldn't actually do any work on it, even in warmer water.

So I think scuba diving is necessary.

A Hookah would also do it, and many sailors use it. No PADI certification is required.

But I have been told -- and it seems right to me -- that the dangers of diving with a Hookah are the same as breathing any other compressed air underwater.

So it seems to me that scuba gear is a better idea, and I don't mind getting the training, which I think is prudent to have in any case.
Old 23-06-2014, 11:52   #22
cruiser

I got stuck to the bottom of our boat last year while snorkeling & wearing a wetsuit to check on a prop issue. I was too cheap to hire a diver, so I went under, was too buoyant, and got stuck backside to the boat pinned to the bottom for a short time. Dave is probably still laughing about that episode and wants to see if you fall for it. Had to kinda roll to get otta that one.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baltic, cleaning