Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2019, 11:45   #1

Yanmar: what does this do?

This lever is on the top of my yanmar. It has three connections I guess cause it’s three cylinders. My manual does not reference it as far as I can see.

Does Anyone know what it’s purpose is?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05D5D773-13AA-43BC-89CA-7B0C56B98507.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	203615  
joeniver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 11:59   #2

Re: Yanmar: what does this do?

Possible decompression system.? My 1978 Yanmar 3QM had one but it looked different
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 12:12   #3

didn't realize the picture is 90 degree off- yes it's likely decompression system' Aids when battery is weak.What is the engine?
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 12:42   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Yours appears to be a 3 cylinder. Below is a similar 2 cylinder.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 10:04   #5

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeniver View Post
This lever is on the top of my yanmar. It has three connections I guess cause it’s three cylinders. My manual does not reference it as far as I can see.

Does Anyone know what it’s purpose is?

Thanks
Decompression lever system.
Used to turn engine over without a lot of resistance.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 11:35   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Decompression lever system.

Used to turn engine over without a lot of resistance.

SV Cloud Duster
^ this.

My old Yanmar had fittings on the front pulley to accept a hand crank...a lot easier w compression release thrown!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 11:57   #7

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Maybe some homebrew design, my yanmar had 3 single decompression levers
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 15:08   #8

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

yes its a decompression lever, no its not 'some homebrew design', it's factory fitted. In practice, unless you are a champion powerlifter, it wont help you start the engine with the crank but its very handy for any other procedure that requires turning the engine over - eg, bleeding injectors, setting tappets etc.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 15:39   #9

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
yes its a decompression lever, no its not 'some homebrew design', it's factory fitted. ...
Well, maybe, have a look into this thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f54/yanmar-decompression-levers-165819.html

My 2 3gm30 marine engines, purchased late last Millenium in Asia, delivered by yanmar Singapore had 3 single levers. Handcranking was not possible due to space restriction, flipping them in 1 by 1 never caused any problem. Used when battery was low.
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 05:26   #10

Wow!

Thanks for all the reply's. This is a great Forum.
The engine is a 3HM. Fresh water cooled, with sea water cooling via heat exchanger.

It was put in new to a 1984 Sparkman and Stephens replica 38' Loki.

Have not had to use the decompression lever yet. Good to know.

Joe
joeniver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 14:00   #11

I have a 3 cylinder Yanmar (3GM30) with three seperate decompression levers. I've had to use them six or seven times in the seven years I've owned Offbeat forstarting problems, bleeding air from the fuel line (though a pump on the external fuel filter on my engine is better at giving controlled fuel flow) and, twice, for expelling seawater from the cylinders (a design problem in the seawater and exhaust system).
My advice is to throw the lever and see what happens while starting and running the engine. I nearly crapped myself with nerves the first time i threw my decompressors over. But nothing broke and now I know what it sounds like if and when one of my cylinders loses compression or a injector blocks up. Better to get familiar with as much of your engine as you can at the dockside because its hard to climb a steep learning curve out a sea.
Differentroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 15:07   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Wow!

The engine is a 3HM. .......

Joe
Well you won't be hand cranking your 3HM .

The main benefits of having the de-com levers coupled together like your's is for starting with a half dead battery or for very cold starting.

Step 1 - operate the levers so engine is decompressed.
Step 2 - spin the engine over with the starter motor for say 5 to 10 seconds or until the engine is spinning over at a good rate. It doesn't take much effort or electricity to turn the engine over when decompressed.
Step 3 - release the de com levers and the stored energy in the flywheel etc will take the engine though compression and fire (hopefully ). Keep the starter engaged at this point.

This really works well even if the battery is nearly dead.

Other uses is for an emergency stop. If the engine is not responding to the throttle or engine cut-off lever i.e. in a runaway condition - simply operate the decompression levers and the engine will cease to run (i.e. no compression).

Also handy for making it easy to turn the engine for maintenance.

For those who do have have a hand cranking setup, it is better to have two or three seperate de com levers as you can de compress all the cylinders, and once you have build up some rotational speed with the hand crank, drop one lever to get the engine to fire on one cylinder and then bring the other one (or two) into play.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:00   #13

Boat: Beneteau331 34 feet

[QUOTE=Differentroads;3032707]I have a 3 cylinder Yanmar (3GM30) with three seperate decompression levers. I've had to use them six or seven times in the seven years I've owned Offbeat forstarting problems, bleeding air from the fuel line (though a pump on the external fuel filter on my engine is better at giving controlled fuel flow) and, twice, for expelling seawater from the cylinders (a design problem in the seawater and exhaust system).
My advice is to throw the lever and see what happens while starting and running the engine. I nearly crapped myself with nerves the first time i threw my decompressors over. But nothing broke and now I know what it sounds like if and when one of my cylinders loses compression or a injector blocks up. Better to get familiar with as much of your engine as you can at the dockside because its hard to climb a steep learning curve out a sea.[/QUOTE

Is there a know design problem that could cause water to get into the cylinders?
Tortuga331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:55   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Differentroads View Post
I have a 3 cylinder Yanmar (3GM30) with three seperate decompression levers. I've had to use them six or seven times in the seven years I've owned Offbeat forstarting problems, bleeding air from the fuel line (though a pump on the external fuel filter on my engine is better at giving controlled fuel flow) and, twice, for expelling seawater from the cylinders (a design problem in the seawater and exhaust system).
My advice is to throw the lever and see what happens while starting and running the engine. I nearly crapped myself with nerves the first time i threw my decompressors over. But nothing broke and now I know what it sounds like if and when one of my cylinders loses compression or a injector blocks up. Better to get familiar with as much of your engine as you can at the dockside because its hard to climb a steep learning curve out a sea.
A basic mistake in starting a diesel when cold is over cranking, with no starting.
This is how sea water can enter the combustion chamber.
It can be damaging to the engine to have this occur.

The trick that has not been mentioned yet is to shut off your intake to the engine till you get it to start, once it starts turn the intake valve on, and check for flow out the exhaust.

This procedure is nessessary when cranking the engine without starting, as water will back up in the water muffler and into the cylinders.
Important step!
Boatyarddog
Old 07-05-2022, 10:58   #15

Quote:
Wow!

The engine is a 3HM. Fresh water cooled, with sea water cooling via heat exchanger.

It was put in new to a 1984 Sparkman and Stephens replica 38' Loki.

Joe
Also, see Post 14 by BYD
Applies here.
Boatyarddog

Tags
yanmar