Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 04:15   #1

Boat: Mirage,schmit,27'
Yanmar SB8 clutch control

Yanmar dealer wants me to replace the whole cable but it is just the connection to the engine that is rusted off.It must be possible to just replace the shift shaft?

Regulator idle spring.Dealer ask 200$ Can another spring do?
copaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 16:24   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Yanmar SB8 clutch control

Yes Yanmar parts can be unbelievable but they aren't alone in holding you to ransom.
Can you post pictures of the gearbox linkage?. You can certainly use another spring but finding one with the same length & resistance to load will be difficult as it would need to match as I think you are talking about the linkage to the governor. You can work out its resistance by using fish scales & stretching it a fixed distance
Actually if you can post a picture of the spring & it's dimensions that might help as it maybe the same as a ysb8
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:54   #3

Thanks .I cannot copy and paste as usual.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:13   #4

I have posted the photo on my Facebook page Lionel Cormier.Compas rose icône.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:00   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Here is the photo from FB.
If you put the pic of the spring on FB, I'll repost it here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SB8.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	195744  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:47   #6

I have posted photos I already have on my iPad.
Old 11-07-2019, 17:28   #7

OK, here are the photos of springs the OP is asking about.
They look identical to the YSE8 springs which isn't surprising as the injector pump and governor assembly is the same.
They look OK, why are you wanting another one?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SB8-1.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	195779   Click image for larger version

Name:	SB8-2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	195780  

Name:	SB8-3.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	195781  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 11-07-2019, 17:40   #8
Marine Service Provider

Are you talking about the small spring or the heavy spring. I have some YSB8 springs but they look a little different. Can you measure the length of the unloaded spring? The springs look ok, what is the problem with it? If the idle is too low just try adjusting the cable.
Not too sure where the problem area of your cable is. Can you post a pic with yr finger pointing to it? If you are talking about the solid bit where it mounts on the end that has broken you could glass it up but tape it first so no resin gets inside the cable.
But you can buy non-Yanmar cables but no idea where in Canada. Google engine control cables
Old 11-07-2019, 18:49   #9

Making a couple of guesses here but it seems the OP has a low idle issue and is looking for a solution.
After reviewing the photos recently posted, this is my take on the idle adjustment on his SB8. Note, this only how I interpret the arrangement (from the photo), I haven't physically seen this engine and can't find a mention of the idle adjustment in any manuals.

There is no seperate stop function, there is only one cable for the throttle and stop functions.

So I am assuming the photo shows the 'STOP' position. I am assuming there is a compressed spring on the plunger body as noted.

Therefore if the throttle cable is moved so the compressed spring relaxes, the plunger moves to the left and leaves the throttle arm now in the idle position.

Now the idle adjustment can be carried out by turning the idle adjustment nut (after loosening the locknut of course). Moving the nut/body towns the left will increase idle speed. When correct idle is achieved, re-lock the lock nut and confirm the engine will still stop when throttle cable is moved to compress the spring and the plunger is again in the position shown.

There could be other reasons why the idle is rough, faulty injector, fuel issue etc but try the adjustment first.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SB8-1-1.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	195785  
Old 11-07-2019, 19:17   #10
Marine Service Provider

sorry Wottie,
I posted my previous post whilst you were posting, see you were onto " what is the problem" concerning springs on throttle. I was guessing it's an idle problem too.
I may be able to help should O.P. need a spring IF they the same as a ysb8

My post was a bit confusing too as the part about broken end of cable was referring to his gearshift cable. I was hoping OP would point to problem part.

Good post re idle adjustment Wottie
Old 12-07-2019, 04:36   #11

I have added better photos to my FB page.The spring on the left is not always under tension.There is slack in it.At idle the rpm goes up and down.(untage someone says) stalls sometimes.
These photos are at idle.
As for the clutch cable there are many at Stright MacKay in Nova Scotia but will try to epoxy or weld with tin?? Someone suggest.I don’t have my câble at hand .It is where the tube guiding the cable is crimped to the part on the engine bracket.
P.s.Must find how to add arrows and meaning of O.P.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:48   #12

Correction.Throtle lever is at stop.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:35   #13

O.P. = opening post (i.e. first post of the thread) or original poster (i.e. you in this thread).
Old 12-07-2019, 05:51   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by copaco View Post
I have added better photos to my FB page.The spring on the left is not always under tension.There is slack in it.At idle the rpm goes up and down.(untage someone says) stalls sometimes.
These photos are at idle.
As for the clutch cable there are many at Stright MacKay in Nova Scotia but will try to epoxy or weld with tin?? Someone suggest.I don’t have my câble at hand .It is where the tube guiding the cable is crimped to the part on the engine bracket.
P.s.Must find how to add arrows and meaning of O.P.
Quote:
Correction.Throtle lever is at stop.
The better photos.
Try the idle adjustment procedure posted earlier (unless others have a better idea).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SB8-4.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	195809   Click image for larger version

Name:	SB8-5.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	195810  

Old 12-07-2019, 06:18   #15

Quote:
Is it broken where the red circle is?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SB8.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	195812  

Tags
clutch, yanmar