Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2016, 11:32   #1
F10

Boat: S&S 34
Yanmar GM Air Filter Alternative

My 3gm air filters have the foam element disintegrate in short period of time, even when kept as a spare in a sealed plastic bag. Are there any aftermarket filters or something I can use to replace the foam. Yanmar filter are around $50- a little price for what they are, and how long they last.
F10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 12:12   #2

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Re: Yanmar GM Air Filter Alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10 View Post
My 3gm air filters have the foam element disintegrate in short period of time, even when kept as a spare in a sealed plastic bag. Are there any aftermarket filters or something I can use to replace the foam. Yanmar filter are around $50- a little price for what they are, and how long they last.
We had the same happen to ours, indeed the bagged spare crumbled to dust faster than the one that was fitted!
I simply re-wrapped one of the metal formers with a cut and glued piece of foam that I salvaged from a skip - it looked like it'd been packaging off something delivered by post - which looked/felt to be about the same thickness and density as the OM Filter foam. I'm sure there'll be someone along shortly with some proper knowledge/qualifications to say why you shouldn't ever do something like this, but that was fitted perhaps three years/600 hours ago and I've never had any problems or noticed it making any difference.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar