Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2012, 10:32   #1

Yanmar 75hp 2007 info

Hi,

I'm considering a change of boat and have found one that has been laid up on the hard for the last 18 months which looks good. It's fitted with a yanmar 75 hp with 400 hrs on it. The engine has the air inlet covered over but beyond that the oil looked clean and there was no external corrosion.

Having had a Volvo on the current boat I'm looking forward to a change. Are there any specific issues with this motor, has it got a cam belt, I forgot to look ? What's the situation regarding its period of lay up.

The shaft seal is a Volvo drip less. Do these degrade over time?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Williamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 11:05   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Yanmar 75hp 2007 info

According to Volvo the dripless seal should be replaced after 500 hours. I'm not aware of anyone doing this but it does need some grease when the boat is launched and it should be burped.

As for the motor you should have it looked at by a mechanic if you want a professional opinion. Myself, I would see how it performs during sea trials. it doesn't have a lot of hours on it. Sounds like it's a turbo which is a bit more complicated than a non turbo diesel.

I guess this is a Beneteau that you're looking at.
Old 27-08-2012, 11:52   #3

Should Not be an issue

Williamp:
Engine Model - if You can pull it off the listing, from broker/owner or look at plate on top of the engine that will help in gaining feedback.

Cam Belt - with minimal info provided, no, it should be Gears

Agree with Vasco on having mechanic (yanmar certified preferred) give You
an educated opinion

If You buy the boat, just buy the Yanmar Service & Parts Manual for your Engine model & follow the maintenance schedule to avoid most issues.

Good luck with the purchase
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 14:04   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60

If you do purchase the boat let me know what the model is if you want a PDF of the manuals. I'm guessing it's a 4jh3te.

Mike
S/v Vivo
mikefp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 15:00   #5

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

I wouldn't be too concerned about the 18 mo layup if the oil looks like it was changed before and it was properly winterized for the climate.

Before starting, replace the impellers (they can freeze in the housing and lose all of their vanes when first fired up and at the very least probably have taken a set so it won't prime), turn it over by hand a few revs ( with a socket wrench on the front nut) to make sure all is loose, then pull the stop cable and crank it until the oil pressure light goes off, push in the stop and let her rip.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 15:09   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefp60 View Post
If you do purchase the boat let me know what the model is if you want a PDF of the manuals. I'm guessing it's a 4jh3te.
Great engine. I've got a 2006 model in my current boat. Love it.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...3_TJDQ&cad=rja
Old 27-08-2012, 15:14   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Great engine. I've got a 2006 model in my current boat. Love it.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...3_TJDQ&cad=rja
Yes, it's a great engine until you have to get at the impeller. I've got the non turbo model.
Old 27-08-2012, 15:17   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Yes, it's a great engine until you have to get at the impeller. I've got the non turbo model.
Not a problem on my boat. All you have to do is disassemble the galley. (I'm serious.)
Old 28-08-2012, 00:20   #9

Thanks Guys

All sounds positive, the volvo has always been a source of stress even though it has never really done any thing other than leak a bit of oil and cost me a couple of saildrive seals at 7 years each. I hated the cam belt which I feel has no place on a marine engine, mind you has a turbo? The only engine in a boat I really liked was the 6 litre Ford naturally aspirated in my old semi displacement motor boat before I went down the sail boat route.
Old 28-08-2012, 01:12   #10

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

The Yanmar 75 is used by a number of manufactures, including Catalina, Beneteau and Outbound.

They are a good engine with lots of torque. The turbo is no problem, except a gas gusler at high rpms (Over 2800)! At cruising speeds you should expect to burn about .8 to 1 gallon per hour.

I have ran into lots of other owners, none of them have reported problems and love their engines.

We have a 2006 model on our Catalina 470 withjust over 1400 hours on it. We have found that Yanmar parts and even service techs are available throughout Mexico and Central America.

WIth that said, as previously suggested, have this engine surveyed by a Yanmar certified mechanic before you buy it!

What boat are you looking at?

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 01:55   #11

The yacht is a bit of a rare one called a Sunbeam, centre cockpit, bit like a hallberg but not quite the quality, but close. Got a late 90s moody 40 at the moment and want to keep a reasonably new boat, I'm starting to get a bit bored with fixing stuff, mind you she really does look the part.
Old 29-08-2012, 02:47   #12

Boat: Hanse 575, 57' Sloop

I have a 2007 Yanmar 75 4JH3TE on my boat (Hylas 49). It's a great engine. Keep the fuel and the oil clean and you shouldn't have any problems. I have about 450 hours on my engine too with no problems. Never a problem finding parts or a mechanic with a Yanmar.

Before I bought the boat I'd have a compression test done as well as have a competent mechanic look at it. I'd also make sure that the prop is matched to the engine (MAXPROP, whatever) as these need to be matched to the reduction/engine carefully.

FWIW

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hylas 49-057
Portsmouth, RI
Black Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote