Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2017, 16:27   #1

Boat: Salona 44
Yanmar 30 Hp Heat Exchanger Corrosion

My Yanmar 3YM30 has a corroded heat exchanger and elbow. no anode is fitted to these. The asking price to replace (parts only) is almost $4,000. A new motor is $10,000!

Does any one know of an alternative, after market unit? I cannot justify spending the $$$ on this component. On another boat I had with a Perkins 4108, I replaced the whole heat exchanger system for less than $1500. I realize that a separate coolant header tank is involved. Surely with over 9,000 of these motors out there some one has come up with an alternative solution. Maybe this is a business opportunity for some one.
No Fixed Addres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:15   #2

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Yanmar 30 Hp Heat Exchanger Corrosion

Online, you can buy a mixing elbow for less than $150. US. Before spending money on a new heat exchanger, I would take mine to a local radiator shop and see if there is any salvation. You might be pleasantly surprised. Usually, they can be reconditioned. Otherwise, look for a used one. Good luck and safe sailing. P.S. Another reason for maintaining clean coolant and inspecting your mixing elbow. My Yanmar is 27 years old with 2300 hours with no corrosion. I have replaced 3 mixing elbows to date--one of which was badly clogged soon after we bought the boat. Hope this helps.

Tags
corrosion, heat exchanger, yanmar