Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 23:33   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Water in Tranny

I have a Volvo MD11c very rusty and tired. Just checked the tranny fluid and found some water. I plan on repowering this winter. To keep her alive for the next 200 nm I am going to monitor the amount of water and change the fluid on a weekly basis (or more often) Any other thoughts or comments?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:51   #2

Re: Water in Tranny

I'm guessing it has an oil cooler that is a raw-water heat exchanger? That's the most likely intrusion point. If the leak is very slow then your approach may be OK. If you find the oil is foaming then you might have a bigger problem and need to address it sooner.

If your cooler is below the water line then shutting off the raw water intake cock in theory will reduce the water pressure in the cooler and might slow the water seeping into the oil - assuming that's what's happening. I don't know how much it will help, but it might be worth a try.

Good luck.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:21   #3

Boat: Lavranos 39 S/v Continental Drift

Do you have a saildrive? I had an md17 with saildrive. Water in tranny was coming thru seal at bottom of leg. Started happenning about shortly after boat yard lifted boat with strap under leg. Of course I couldn't prove it but it was not leaking for the 20yrs before they lifted it and broke motor mounts etc. If this is it you should be able to go awhile, sail lots.

Good luck
bmartinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 23:40   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41

Thanks for the advice. This is not a saildrive engine. I have taken to sailing as much as possible (which I did anyway) I am monitoring the viscosity of the oil and running it at lowest revs possible. Hopefully it will work out.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:09   #5

If that trans has a heat exchanger (?) just bypass it and run the engine very easy. At low speeds the trans wont overheat. If you only have 200 miles to go, it wont hurt anything to limp home. Just make sure the cooling water goes everywhere else that it is supposed to go._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water