Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2013, 14:45   #1

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"
Volvo Penta Waterpump Repair Kit.....

I got a Volvo Penta 2003T in my boat and noticed the water pump">raw water pump started leaking. So I bought a repair kit ( $310) and pulled the pump apart.
Lucky I didn't do this away from home as I found bits missing. I don't think that somebody took parts out of the kit I think this is what Volvo thinks you need to repair your pump. The big o-ring which seals against the motor-block was missing plus the two seals and o rings which seal the incoming and outgoing water pipes. I would consider those bit part of the waterpump.
It cost me less than $5 to buy the missing bits but I believe when you pay $310 for two bearings and some seals it could be complete. So don't buy a kit like that and chuck it in the spare parts box thinking you got all you need.

Cheers
Reiner
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 15:00   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Volvo Penta Waterpump Repair Kit.....

G'Day Reiner,

310$?? OUCH! For two bearings and some seals? I suspect that your pump is a Johnson or other standard production pump. The seals and bearings in them are nothing special in most cases that I'm familiar with, and those bearings and seals can be obtained at any industrial bearing supply house (like Wynnum Nuts and Bolts on Tingle st.).

It's too late for this time around, but try taking the old parts down there and checking out their price and availability. For our Johnson pump the bearings and seals come to less than 30 bucks... we carry spares!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 21-02-2013, 15:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day Reiner,

310$?? OUCH! For two bearings and some seals? I suspect that your pump is a Johnson or other standard production pump. The seals and bearings in them are nothing special in most cases that I'm familiar with, and those bearings and seals can be obtained at any industrial bearing supply house (like Wynnum Nuts and Bolts on Tingle st.).

It's too late for this time around, but try taking the old parts down there and checking out their price and availability. For our Johnson pump the bearings and seals come to less than 30 bucks... we carry spares!

Cheers,

Jim
Good to hear from you Jim, hope you two are having a good time in Tassie
I did keep all the old bits and do exactly what you suggested . Making my own spare kit for a lot less money. We used to do the same with Motorcycle wheel bearings. 1/4 of the price in a bearing shop compared to Motorcycle shops.
Cheers
Reiner
( getting ready for our 6 month Trip)
Old 21-02-2013, 21:57   #4

G'day Reiner,
Good advice from Jim re the bearings and seals but be sure to replace the seal springs with a tight fitting 'o' ring because standard industrial seals come with steel rings that will not stand up to riggers of marine use. Your model VP has a Johnson pump and as such only supply actual pump parts in their kits the same model pump is used by various engine manufacturers and mounted in many different ways.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 22:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey doug View Post
G'day Reiner,
Good advice from Jim re the bearings and seals but be sure to replace the seal springs with a tight fitting 'o' ring because standard industrial seals come with steel rings that will not stand up to riggers of marine use. Your model VP has a Johnson pump and as such only supply actual pump parts in their kits the same model pump is used by various engine manufacturers and mounted in many different ways.
It wouldn't matter which way the pump is fitted it still needs water coming in and water going up to the heat exchanger so those o-rings should be in there and the pump gets driven by the sprocket at the back of the pump so it does need that seal too.

Reiner
Old 22-02-2013, 02:03   #6

In some installations the same model pump has jointed flanges rather than rubber seals and can be remotely mounted and belt driven having no need for a seal ring.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 03:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey doug View Post
In some installations the same model pump has jointed flanges rather than rubber seals and can be remotely mounted and belt driven having no need for a seal ring.
On the box it said that this kit is for the Volvo Penta 2003T Johnson Pump
not for some other configerations........
Old 31-12-2014, 00:54   #8

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day Reiner,

Cheers,

Jim
Hi Jim, where was this 'Wynnum Nuts and Bolts' from. I need a seal and gasket kit for my water pump. Mine has a six bolt cover, but whenever I come up with the parts numbers it's for a four bolt cover. Ted
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo