Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2015, 06:15   #16

Boat: Condor 37
Re: Volvo D2-40 heat exchanger

You can obtain o rings in Canada from Fluid Seal. I brought the new Volvo rings into them and they matched them up quickly, and were able to identify the material used in the manufacture. I think the whole set cost about $6 Canadian (about 50 cents US Ha Ha).
LWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 15:48   #17

I got oring replacements from marinepartsexpress a few years ago and they were much cheaper than the dealer. For the water pump">raw water pump it a johnson pump and you can get a replacement from any johnson pump dealer. The impeller is johnson part number 09-1026B-1
sailingallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 07:49   #18

I have had all the same issue with the D2-40
MDI going ba . Exchanger and elbow bith rotting through, seals on the S-130 Drive.. they have all gone bad. 4 times for the MDI.
I can help with the impeller for the saltwater pump. It is a Johnson pump 09-1026B-1 MC97 compound
sailingallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 09:22   #19

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Orana 44
K&N Air Filters and Various O-Rings

kas_1611, thanks for the info on the air filters. I've struggled for years with different VP reps on the idiotic design of their assembly and request for an assembly with a replaceable element with only a shrug of the shoulders as a reply...I've toyed with the idea of just putting on an aftermarket filter, but don't know the intake requirements (flow rates), so have been hesitant to mess with it.
How did you arrive at the particular K&N filter part number and shape, as they seem to have an enormous inventory to choose from? I will look to buy the same next time I go to replace the air filters - thanks!
And thanks to the rest of the contributors on the D2-40 topics! I took my heat exchanger forward cap off to ensure no impeller fragments had made their way up to the tubes recently (all clear) and decided to just reuse the old oring when re-assembling since it looked fine (about 900 hrs on the engine). I knew better, but at big bucks for such a simple piece, I caved to my cheapness...I must have crimped an edge upon reassembly because it leaked from the bell cap enough to set off my bilge alarm/pump after just a few hours of motoring. Lesson learned about re-using old orings and especially about carefully reinstalling these caps as they slide on to the tube bundle a good ways before finally seating (use lots of glycerin).
Although you've listed a cheap source for the o-rings, has anyone invested in an o-ring kit where you size the ring from a spool of the necessary diameter and angle cut and glue the ends to form the ring? Perhaps too much art involved in this, but just curious if anyone makes their own?
Thanks again!
Pat
sailjade.blogspot.com
pstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 10:34   #20

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Pat. I contacted K&N direct in the UK with all the specs for the engine as per the volvo manual and they figured it out from that. I have to say it has worked perfectly so far but you do need to ensure it is tightened securely as ours wobbled off the intake initially. Socket ratchet sorted that out.
Keiron

Sent from my D5803 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 10:45   #21

Your orings may be rubber or nitrile etc. For water either should work. They are readily available at a hydraulic hose shop or similar. They don't have to be exact, if going on a male piston etc a tad smaller is fine.. stretch to fit. Lanolin is a good lube to put on them for water service.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 02:13   #22

Boat: Dufour385

Hi do any of you know how many o rings are in the end cap of the heat exchanger !I think there is 1 on the bronze tube end , and is there 2 inside the end cap
Decker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat exchanger, volvo