Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2014, 03:13   #1

Vegetable Oil

I heard people are running diesel on straight vegetable oil. Is it possible to do that on a yanmar 1gm10 with 15:1 compresson ratio?

This is for entertainment purposes ONLY!
d design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: vegetable oil

i reccomend getting the bits of batter and chips out first,and mixing with regular diesel to thin otherwise should work fine
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:51   #3

Boat: Tayana 37

Run it 85% vegetable oil, 15% diesel. Also keep a spare set of injectors on hand. The oil will eventually dirty up and clog your injectors. Swap in the spare set and put the old ones in a diesel bath. Leave them soaking while you run the engine on your spares. The diesel will clean them. Once your spares clog, repeat the procedure.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:12   #4

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

I'm very interested in this thread. Does it cause any unwanted nastiness? Premature wear of engine parts? Fuel system problems? Will the oil/diesel mixture gum up tanks or anything like that? Has anyone actually done this for an extended period of time who can provide feedback?
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:24   #5

Bigger question is where are you sourcing your oil?

It used to be you could go behind any fast food place and they were happy if you took thier used oil. Last I heard, they started putting locks on it because they found they could sell it, so the cost advantage has largely gone away.

I knew a couple of guys converting old mercedes. They kept a seperate small tank for starting with regular diesel in the cold but otherwise they claimed it was as good or better for the engine. Maybe the bit of running on straight stuff when they started addressed the injector issue but they never mentioned it as a problem.

A quick google will get you tons of sites discussing it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:25   #6

I know quite a few over the road truck drivers who do this. Other than the injectors I've never heard of any other adverse consequences.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:26   #7

I've heard that peanut oil is even better, easy flowing, higher flash point, and so much cleaner ?
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:06   #8

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

What do you think Bio diesel is? In the US on road diesel contain 5%. I been trying to stay away from it does not have a long storage life as it separate out and congeals in the tank and messes up the filters/injectors. I been running bio desiel in my pick up for years with no problems.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:14   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Mr Diesel originally designed his engine to run on bio fuel. Only the advent of cheap and readily available petroleum caused the change over.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:19   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Does subtracting vegetable oil from the world food inventory make sense, any more than wasting corn to make poor gasoline?

I think if we look a the large view the absurdity is obvious. We can afford to throw money away to feel good, but many cannot.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:36   #11

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

I'm with you on the folly of using corn for ethanol, but using used vegetable oil in diesels where possible makes eminently good sense to me.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:42   #12

Even using ethanol really doesn't impact food supplies. The US grows far more corn than it uses for food. And before the argument gets thrown out that the excess could be used for food aid, keep in mind that the human body cannot digest corn. Don't believe me, look at what's left in the toilet after eating corn.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:27   #13

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn

Old cooking oil is great if its refined and processed right. I have used it in a new engine and got more power than off road diesel, it smells like you're cooking when using it. A friend makes it he gets the old oil from local restaurants he does around 300 gallons at a time his cost is around 60 cents per gallon, its a messy job but he is set up for making it. I would not just filter old oil and pour it in a tank to use it has to be refined to get the impurities out salts ect.
jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:36   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukeluthier View Post
I'm with you on the folly of using corn for ethanol, but using used vegetable oil in diesels where possible makes eminently good sense to me.
Corn doesn't make sense but that is because it's horribly inefficent. You use 9 gallons of fuel to produce 10 gallons of fuel. Brazil on the otherhand using sugar cane is more like 1 to 10 ratio.

Of course, biodiesel is no longer used fryer oil. Once the idea caught on, that market got used up in a split second. It's now from commercially farmed sources. Not sure on the production efficency aspect.

I'm not too worried about using up food supplies. We produce far more than we use and it's not taking food out of someones mouth because the bulk of this crop was simply not planted when there was no use for it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 13:12   #15

Wanted to know if it was posdible on my particular engine. Now in case of emergency i can rob the gelley of the cooking oil . What about asking for the whale oil from the research ships in the pacific. Im sure they wouldent mind after they had researched it . Not.

Does anybody know what cetaine rating cooking oil would have?
d design is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil