Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2013, 11:43   #1

Boat: 45' SV
Sea Strainer Sizing

My raw water intake is a 3/4 hose but the stock sea strainer (plastic) is 1/2". I get the feeling this is not uncommon with production boats.

I looked at the Groco tailpieces and the actual opening for the 3/4" is only a tiny bit larger than the 1/2" tailpiece. In fact you can barely tell the difference!

Any thoughts on whether or not it is worth it to get a 3/4" strainer versus a 1/2"? The 3/4" Groco ARG that I like seems so huge for my application (Universal M35B). And given the flow of both are constrained at about the same diameter (tailpiece) - I'm not sure what the right answer is?

Thank you,
Downeaster
Downeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 12:40   #2

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah
Re: Sea Strainer Sizing

Downeaster,
I think your analysis of the throughput differences between the two strainer is accurate. A bronze hose barb normally reduces the ID of water passage more than a plastic hose barb so there isn't a lot of difference between 1/2" plastic and 3/4" bronze.
One difference that might be significant is the size of the strainer basket. I don't know how much larger the 3/4" basket is than the 1/2", but the larger basket can contain more sludge and debris before restricting the water flow.
However, since the existing configuration does not appear to be causing any problems I would stay with it.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 15:52   #3

Boat: 45' SV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens View Post
Downeaster,
I think your analysis of the throughput differences between the two strainer is accurate. A bronze hose barb normally reduces the ID of water passage more than a plastic hose barb so there isn't a lot of difference between 1/2" plastic and 3/4" bronze.
One difference that might be significant is the size of the strainer basket. I don't know how much larger the 3/4" basket is than the 1/2", but the larger basket can contain more sludge and debris before restricting the water flow.
However, since the existing configuration does not appear to be causing any problems I would stay with it.

John
Yes - and furthermore my theory is that the throughput for a 1/2" bronze is no different than a 3/4" bronze because the barb ID is constrained by the hose. So this real difference is the surface area of the screen. That's my theory at least.

Thanks,
Downeaster
Downeaster is offline   Reply With Quote