Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 21:29   #16

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Oil change intervals should be directly correlated to type of usage. If an engine is only run intermittently (e.g., start the engine, pull away from the dock, hoist sails, kill the engine, go sailing, start the engine, drop sails and pull into the slip) then the engine will require more frequent oil changes. On the other hand, if you're motoring from non-stop from San Diego to Seattle, you'd probably not need to change it until you arrived.

Remember, for the most part, engines in cruising sailboats have it very easy. Rarely do they run for extended periods at full throttle, full load. They're in a virtual dust-free environment and they have entire oceans to provide cooling. Add to all of that owners who continuously fuss and fret over their little-understood engines. Diesel engines are largely extremely reliable even when forced to work under harsh conditions with poor maintenance. Modern lubricants and highly-effective filters means that rarely will an engine develop lower end (crankshaft, connecting rods, cylinder walls, pistons, etc) problems even if it has a modicum of service.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 23:44   #17

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
I change the oil in our diesel boat every 100 hours or 3 months, which ever comes first. Since it can take a long time to build up 100 hours in a sailboat, I usually change the oil at 3 months. The longer oil remains in the engine even if the engine is only used a few times, the more the oil breaks down with diesel fuel creating acids that are not good for internal engine parts.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:10   #18

I change oil and filters every 100hrs.Just remember oil and grease is cheaper than spare parts.Greg
ozskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:48   #19

Boat: All kinds of 'em, from 9' dinks to 100+' motoryachts, power or sail...
Send a message via Yahoo to robw_fl
Advice? Change it. Period.

Oil and filter changes are one of the least expensive, yet most important pieces of maintenance you can perform on a diesel engine, along with fuel filters. I can't think of a good reason NOT to change the oil in your situation. Screw the hours. It's 4 years old, and it won't cost much relative to the price of buying a boat, to just change it out and start fresh on a regular schedule.

Rob
Old 12-10-2009, 05:04   #20

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Change it per the manufacturers recomendations, they will be conservative to protect their product.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 07:25   #21

Boat: Endeavour,A Plan, E37, BlueAyes
Oil Change Done

Managed my first oil change on Perkins 4-108. I do my own car oil changes, but this was a bit different. Bought a pump from West marine. A word of caution. The pump comes with 2 hoses you connect together with a rubber connector. Be sure there is a good connection. While the pump was sucking out the oil the hoses parted which slung oil like a loose fire hose. There was oil dripped in places I didn't know existed. Lots of papertowels and diapers cleaned it up. 1st mate's wisdom "Will that happen everytime you change the oil?" My reply "Not if you hold the hoses together." It was a cold supper that night.

Tags
oil change