Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 16:58   #1

Boat: Catalina 270LE #166
Perkins M20 - Fuel Filter

Hello everyone,

I'm a new boat owner learning the ropes with diesel engine maintenance. I have a Perkins M20 on a 1995 Catalina 270.

I've not replaced the fuel filters before. The primary filter after the tank is a Racor. The second filter, a Perkins filter, is mounted upside down on the engine.

Here are the newbie questions:

How often do you replace/maintain each fuel filter? Is it number of hours like the oil? e.g. 100 hrs per oil change?

What kind of mess can I expect maintaining these filters? Any tips on limiting fuel leak mess?

Does anyone have a reliable procedure to bleed the fuel line after filter replacement on the Perkins M20?

Thanks,
Brent
bluenoser613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 16:59   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Perkins M20 - fuel filter

When dirty or at least once a year. Spring commissioning is a good time to replace them.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 17:08   #3

Boat: grampian 26
Re: Perkins M20 - fuel filter

[QUOTE=bluenoser613;946714]Hello everyone,

I'm a new boat owner learning the ropes with diesel engine maintenance. I have a Perkins M20 on a 1995 Catalina 270.

I've not replaced the fuel filters before. The primary filter after the tank is a Racor. The second filter, a Perkins filter, is mounted upside down on the engine.

How often do you replace/maintain each fuel filter? Is it number of hours like the oil? e.g. 100 hrs per oil change?

What kind of mess can I expect maintaining these filters? Any tips on limiting fuel leak mess?

Does anyone have a reliable procedure to bleed the fuel line after filter replacement on the Perkins M20?

Thanks,
Brent[/QUOTE

Your owners manual will have that information. If you plan on doing your own servicing and repairs I suggest you invest in a shop manual for your engine.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 14:57   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser613
Hello everyone,

Thanks,
Brent
Perkins manual says every 12 months or 200 hours.

Bleeding is simple: Loosen the nipple at the top of the filter housing (on the pipe running from the filter to the injection pump). Manually pump the lever on the lift pump until fuel squirts from the nipple. Tighten nipple. It should not be necessary to bleed at the injectors (my M30 is very forgiving in that regard).

You can download Perkins shop manuals online.
Jbaffoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 14:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser613
Hello everyone,

Thanks,
Brent
Oh, and the mess is minimal--one paper towel will wipe it up.
Jbaffoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel filter, perkins