Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 19:06   #1
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Outboard Throttle Seized

So... our sturdy little Johnson sailmaster 6hp outboard has an issue. The throttle won't turn. It starts fine and runs at a low idle, but you can't give it any juice. It just putts along.

There is a thumb screw where the rubber grip meets the metal arm and I loosened that to no effect.

There are two shiny small heads that look like they should be screws, but are not. They are smooth, no slot.

Any ideas on what the problem might be and how to remedy it or is this a "Girl, go find a mechanic" kinda thing?

It will turn a small amount and it feels as if something like a gasket is gummed up in there....

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 19:15   #2

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45
Re: Outboard throttle seized

When was the last time you did maintenance on the Outboard? And that includes using the various kinds of lubricants require to do so?
Maybe a touch of lube in the appropriate places may loosen it up for you.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 19:20   #3

Does this motor have cables or the ballgears for throttle control ? If a shaft and gear at the motor end the shaft maybe seized in the handle . Take apart and clean and degunk hopefully needs no new parts
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 19:21   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

hrrmmmm.. well it's a 2 stroke, so every time I put fuel in it I lube it, I guess. I wouldn't know where to lubricate the throttle... I have never noticed any port or hole to put lube thru. What would I use for lube? A silicone based?

Old 01-07-2011, 19:39   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I just read thru the manual and it says nothing about a cable vs a gear assembly on the throttle. I am going to have to visually inspect. Is it obvious if there are cables or gears?

Old 01-07-2011, 20:02   #6

Boat: PETERSON 44
Usually the handle has a cam on the underside. A. Cable very much like a bike cable rides around this. Passes down the tiller arm and then links to the carb.it is possible and not to difficult to pull this cable. Rinse like he'll and blow your favorite lube wd anti seize into the jacket and get it loosened up or replace the cable. If it's a solid linkage you will probably be able to loosen up the transition point with that same lube. Undo linkage at carb spay everything that needs to or looks like it might like to move start working the throttle. Hope that helps
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 21:12   #7

Boat: 29'

Sarafina,I wouldn't take it to pieces until you can be sure not to lose the bits .Just try a two-handed twist first and work it a bit.Maybe straighten the hinged arm when you are doing this.My twist throttle gets very stiff.I have to give it a good hard twist if I haven't used it in awhile but then it's fine...well...it's ok and I can put the job off for another month.But I've been saying that since I got it....It's as sabray is saying-it needs a workover but it really needs a total teardown of the handle/throttle to do it right.Try the hard twist.
Not to break it!just twist a little harder is all.If the cables all snap,well,they were rusted and going to do that anyways...The trouble is separating a rusted,dissolved cable from one where the grease on it has dried to a gluey substance due to age and salt...
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard