Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 16:14   #1
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Outboard Carb question

Hi, we have a 2007 Johnson 9.9 2 stroke

https://tbit.r.worldssl.net/usr/ride..._07johnson.jpg

It has been running well. usually starts first pull and has never let us down, but the other day after a 15 min flat out run, when I dropped it back to idle speed it stopped and wouldn't restart straight away.
The cooling water tell tale isn't as strong as usual, but there's no apparent blocking in the external intake grills.
The next day I tried to start it again and it wouldn't go.
I cleaned the spark plugs and retried with no luck. They were a bit black but no real gunking. The lower plug looked a bit brown on the porcelain near the thread.

I tried pumping in more fuel with the primer bulb and noticed fuel leaking from the carb. See the black thing in the middle of the metal part of the pic. Not sure what that is but the fuel seemed to be coming from the small hole just above and to the right of it. Im not sure if this is normal for the fuel to come out if its flooded?
So I figured too much fuel and disconnected the fuel line and pulled the cord another 20 times and it eventually started and ran like a champ.
Reconnected the fuel line and now its running as good as ever.
So my couple of questions are...
should fuel come out that hole when theres too much fuel in the carb?
what is the little black T thing in the centre of the metal part?
how do I check the impeller or the water flow, maybe its just a bit of sand in the telltale thats reducing flow, although I did poke a wire down to try clear it.
Is it time for a proper service?

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/OB%2...0carb%20rh.JPG

Thanks for any help and advice!

Monte
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Outboard Carb question

Check out ➥ Johnson_carb

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:08   #3

Boat: Catalina 42

I'd consider the possibility that your float/needle valve stuck open during your 15 minute wide open. When you slowed it flooded and died. That would explain the fuel leaking out the vent when you pumped the bulb. Removing the fuel line stopped the flooding condition and allowed the engine to re-start? Stuck floats can often be corrected by simply tapping the side of the carb with a screwdriver, so it's certainly possible that re-starting it freed it up.
Empty Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:28   #4
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Thanks gord and ep. So the hole in the side is a vent? Ok stuck needle makes sense, thanks for the input. I'll know what to do if it happens again..maybe !
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 18:31   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
I'd consider the possibility that your float/needle valve stuck open during your 15 minute wide open. When you slowed it flooded and died. That would explain the fuel leaking out the vent when you pumped the bulb. Removing the fuel line stopped the flooding condition and allowed the engine to re-start? Stuck floats can often be corrected by simply tapping the side of the carb with a screwdriver, so it's certainly possible that re-starting it freed it up.
Would be my first educated guess too. Since it fired back up its probably not an electronics issue (those tend to be permanent failures). Venting fuel points to a stuck float valve. Check and clean float valve seat and check connection between float valve and float. You must remove the bowl to get at it. Some have a flimsy wire connection between float and valve which fails. The one on my J15 failed years ago. Temporarily resecured with a bit larger gauge wire. Holding fine years later.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard