Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2015, 19:20   #1

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Old fuel filters?

We inherited a few fuel filters when we purchased our boat. Based on the back order form attached to one of them, they are either from 2012 or 2005. Of concern, there is some discoloration on the packages around the O-rings. Does this indicate that the O-rings are disintegrating?
Old 07-12-2015, 21:03   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Old fuel filters?

The prudent sailor will keep those old filters for the day it takes 4 filters to keep your engine running and they are the best filters you have.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 15:30   #3

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
The prudent sailor will keep those old filters for the day it takes 4 filters to keep your engine running and they are the best filters you have.
Yeah, I guess in that case I am not going to be too concerned about the o-rings, since I will have all the others on hand.
Old 08-12-2015, 16:15   #4

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

If it don't crumble in your hand, keep it for a rainy day.
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:12   #5

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

It's probably the oring material reacting with the packaging, they're probably fine. If the orings are brittle or otherwise failing when you open them, you could probably transfer the oring from the filter you're removing to the new one.

I'd use the oldest spares first, that way if they don't work you know early and you're not lugging them around for no reason.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:06   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
The prudent sailor use them right now. Remember that the package was protecting the filter from ozone. Even 10 years is nothing on shelf life. Either use them right now, or if you can't stand that, pitch them right now. The cult of keeping old parts you don't trust is too bizarre. Anyway, those o-rings are good for years in actual use. I've used o-rings from the 30s that were in the original packaging without trouble (the key is that they were still sealed).

Always rotate your inventory.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
ptch them right now. The cult of keeping old parts you don't trust is too bizarre.
A
I can't use them fast enough to keep the metal parts from rusting. I end up with filters that I would only use in an emergency. I tend to stock up with a full case of filters and rust happens over time.
I should turn you loose on our boat. It's way down on it's lines and it's because of spare stuff. I'm thinking of doing a serious rummage but fuel filters with a little corrosion on the outside will not be the first to go.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:57   #8

The previous owner of my boat liked to keep plenty of spares - the problem is, about half of them were for a completely different engine. Always have a spare impeller handy, it doesn't matter what kind of water pump">raw water pump it fits!
Old 11-12-2015, 10:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
. Always have a spare impeller handy, it doesn't matter what kind of raw water pump it fits!
In his defense, I once bought a couple of impellers that turned out not to fit and I carried them around for years.
Now I have 2 used serviceable, 1 new fresh (2yr old) a 2yr old in the engine and 1 old new impeller still in the box. For the motoring we do I feel comfortable.

Tags
fuel, fuel filter