Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2018, 14:01   #16

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
Re: My bladder is leaking, please help

I think you would be better off fitting your extra bladder tankage above decks in deck lockers--and draw fuel from them first. I should imagine that these tanks put below decks might render your insurance invalid.

I would get them out of there before the vessel goes up in flames. That is about the most stupid and dangerous arrangement of which I have heard.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 14:28   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Thinwater is right, if the seams are leaking the tank can not be repaired.

If you want to replace the bladder tanks, set them up as separate tanks. Don’t gravity feed them from the higher tank. Install a tank selector valve so you can run off either the metal tank or bladder tank but not both. Of course you would need to install a deck fill for the bladder tank.

Aero Tech Labs (ATL) makes the best bladder tanks I’ve seen. Aero Tec Laboratories - Aero Tec Labs - Aerotech - ATL - Aerotec - AeroTech Labs, Fuel Cells_Cell, Bladders_Bladder, Bladder Tanks_Tank, Potable Water Bladders, Pillow Tanks_Tank_Containment, Portable Tanks_Tank, Liquid Storage, Collapsible Tanks_Tan

I don’t like permanently installed bladder tanks. They eventually fail and do it much sooner than a metal or fiberglass tank would.

I think they are terrific for temporary storage to extend your range when you need too. When they are empty you can roll them up and get them out of the way. I sold a lot of them back in the early eighties to guys who would also buy a #410 chart of the Caribbean and pay with a roll of twenties. I wonder what they were doing with them?
Old 10-07-2018, 14:42   #18

Totally agree that this is one of the worst set ups imaginable and a huge hazard. Thanks for the reminder about really not needing so much capacity. Given all this, I'm going to rip them out permanently. IF we need more capacity in the future, it will be something above the level of the tanks. And yes, I'll do the cracked hoses at the same time.
Thanks all!
Boat Named Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease