Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2013, 00:37   #1

Boat: Samson C-Falcon 41'9" composite ketch (designed by Cece Norris)
How To Free Coolant Screw-in Lugs In Ford 2701 Lees Dorset Crank Case?

Hello - on the lh side of the crank case half way along towards the bottom are two 1/2 inch threaded lugs with allen key sockets. these access the engine coolant, and would feed a heat exchanger for domestic hot water.

However, they are rusted in, and i have just stripped the socket in one. Do I drill them out, or is there a magic spray to loosen them?

Also, why are there two when I only really need one? - Generic diagrams show one outlet lug, and the return circuit T -'d into the rube piping at the top of the conversion.

Failing a solution to the rusting problem, can anyone suggest alternative hot points to tap to supply the domestic HW heat exchanger please?:roll eyes:
Shanaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 15:37   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: How To Free Coolant Screw-in Lugs In Ford 2701 Lees Dorset Crank Case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanaly View Post
Hello - on the lh side of the crank case half way along towards the bottom are two 1/2 inch threaded lugs with allen key sockets. these access the engine coolant, and would feed a heat exchanger for domestic hot water.

However, they are rusted in, and i have just stripped the socket in one. Do I drill them out, or is there a magic spray to loosen them?

Also, why are there two when I only really need one? - Generic diagrams show one outlet lug, and the return circuit T -'d into the rube piping at the top of the conversion.

Failing a solution to the rusting problem, can anyone suggest alternative hot points to tap to supply the domestic HW heat exchanger please?:roll eyes:
Just an opinion here, but I don't think there are any magic sprays, Some help but for the most part they are snake oils. Stripped Allen sockets make a great plact to start a new hole to use an easy out of some sort.
It seems like you would want an outlet from the cooling system and a return to the cooling system from about where it came from to keep everything working like normal. Most cooling systems are from the bottom of the engine up so your heat exchanger would have little effect on coolant temp.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 17:40   #3

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Re: How To Free Coolant Screw-in Lugs In Ford 2701 Lees Dorset Crank Case?

Depends on what tools and access you have. I would drill it out until it had about 2 or 3 mm wall thickness. Then I would heat a track across it to red heat briefly with an oxy torch (or an arc welder if the hole is big enough). It should then shrink and come out easily with an ezyout.
Regards,

Richard
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant