Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2008, 09:35   #1

Boat: Ericson 39B
Honda Outboard Idle question

HEY ALL, I have an early eighties model Honda 100 4 stroke (9.9HP). She starts and runs, but will not idle. I have new fuel, cleaned everything in the carb and fuel pump, checked all connections that I can think of. The adjustments on the carb do nothing to help the idle. I am at a total loss as to what is wrong. I have the owners manual and shop manual. But the trouble shooting guide does not talk about the idle. I will take any and all advice. Thanks.
Sea Maid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 10:35   #2

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
These engines are usually almost bullet proof. The carb adjustment should affect the idle. If it dosen't you might have a plugged jet. You need a fine stiff wire to run through your jet nozzles. I usually strip the paper or plastic off a twist tie. The wire inside is a good starting size for jets over 4HP.
Old 16-06-2008, 10:39   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Mike,
Our club had one of those and for all the time we had it we could never get it to idle properly until we took it into the shop and the fellow completely dismantled the carb and thoroughly cleaned everything and recommended running the fuel out after each use. The fuel had to be absolutely clean, new and no obstructions whatsoever from the fuel can to the engine. I guess what we finally did was just set the throttle higher so that it wouldn't die on us when the problem came up again. Can't remember for certain. We finally traded it for a Nissan 2 strop 8hp and we became happier.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda, outboard