Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 12:24   #16

Re: Hard starting engine after flooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafskip View Post
Hi all,

I checked the glow plugs with a test light and they seem alright.

Thanks,
Joost

Hi mate,
if you tested for power at the terminal that joins the top of the glowplug it just means the glowplug is getting power to it, not necessarily functioning.
To test a glowplug unscrew it and power it up and watch it glow (or not).

Or, if a safety freak worry wort, test it for ohms compared to specs.

Cheers
Outwest34au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:44   #17

I disconnected the positives from the glow plugs and took a positive from the battery via a light to the glow plug top. Indeed, it just tests that it lets through (some) current. The ohm check would be easy to do. But first I'll see what the engine does with the new inj. nozzles.
hafskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 13:47   #18

Quote:
I disconnected the positives from the glow plugs and took a positive from the battery via a light to the glow plug top. Indeed, it just tests that it lets through (some) current. The ohm check would be easy to do. But first I'll see what the engine does with the new inj. nozzles.

That's fine.
I thought you may have went just from the terminal to earth.

Proceed as you are,

Cheers
Outwest34au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 13:58   #19

Is it a secret what model of engine you have?

That's exactly how my engine starts without sufficient time on the glow plugs. I'm not sure that checking the resistance is a definitive test. If your engine is a Kubota block, the glow plugs can be had for about $7 each.

If the starter is intermittent, replace it now because the next time it plays up will be when you are crossing a shipping channel and the wind dies. (speaking as a man who just spent the day changing his starter, after precisely that happened)
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:23   #20

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

Didn't see follow-up to starter inspection?

Even with new injectors, I'd guess the starter/solenoid needs some examination.

If the starter and solenoid check out, would also look at batteries; are they supplying the minimum required cranking amps (per you starter's requirements) with some healthy reserve?

-Chris
Old 09-07-2014, 07:31   #21

Boat: islandpacket

Make sure your battery is charged. Even with a new starter if low on volts will cause slow cranking and you want a good strong fast crank.
Also how did all the water get in. Did you back flood the engine or did it sink? If it sank you probably have bad electric connections. If the engine back flooded through the exaust you were cranking it to much and filled the exhaust into the motor.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:55   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Joost, have you worked on the starter yet? Just wondering what you found when you took it apart.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:09   #23

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'
Re: Hard Starting Engine after Flooding

For testing glow plugs I believe you want to check ohm's to make sure they are not burned out. You want a complete circut to be had. Checking to see voltage is a good step to make sure the selnoid works.

My first guess would be the starter not spinning the motor fast enough due to it being flooded. How did the motor get water in it? Was it throu the exhaust or was the whole motor compartment under water? It would not hurt to check the fuel vent and the condition of the fuel. Could water of gotten in the fuel tank?

For a fouled injector check cylinder temperatures with a infared gun at the block at each cylinder and exhaust port or at the manifold for a uniform temperature while the motor is running.
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:49   #24

If you listen to the audio, you can hear the engine kind of catch, and the rpms slowly start to build. Even when the engine is spinning at double the starter speed, it still doesn't run right.

Investigating the starter might fix the random "no turn over" problem, but it won't fix the poor starting when the starter does run. That is barking up totally the wrong tree.

This engine is either missing fuel, compression, air, or heat from the glow plugs.

My understanding is that glow plugs can have eroded tips, but still test OK for resistance. Try replacing them. Also, have you checked that they are getting power?

This engine starts like it does not have working glow plugs.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:30   #25

Ok, I am in bigger trouble now with this issue. I had a "so called" expert put the injectors back. Unfortunately he didn't really know what he was doing. I wasn't there, but the bottom line is that he badly damaged the seats were the copper washer sit that seal the injector in the cylinder. Deep screwdriver dents over the full width of the surface. The washer doesn't seal anymore and I do not dare to push them down too much with the injector holder bolts.

The question now is if there is anything I can do to get a seal somehow or that bringing the head into a shop is inevitable now.
hafskip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine