Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2020, 01:31   #31
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Fuel feed pump issue OR not?

^^ nice repair and thanks for posting it. I always like to hear about effective DIY repairs.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 17:16   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldog View Post
Well, there's more than one way to fix a knackered fuel pump.

The new pump diaphragms that I ordered from USA could take months to get here (Tasmania) with the postal system in Covid overload. Meanwhile summer is on the way and a want to use the boat. So I just replaced the flexible membrane on the old diaphragm. The nitrile material came from an ebay supplier in Australia.

Pump diaphragms usually aren't made to be taken apart, and this one is no exception. The end plate was held on by the end of the shaft being peened over. I had to machine the end off the shaft to get the old diaphragm off. But that left me with a shaft that was too short to reassemble. I thought about making a whole new shaft, but then had another idea that was worth a try. I built the end up with weld metal and turned it back to the original diameter. Re-fitted the diaphragm plates with the new membrane between them and peened the built-up end of the shaft over again with a ball-pein hammer. It worked quite well. Diaphragm is held nice and tight on the shaft and the pump now pumps again.

Good job cobber!
I like the way you are thinking
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 21:39   #33

Boat: Roberts R35A. 35ft. Steel

Reinstalled the pump on the engine today and gave it a test run. All good. Engine runs at full power and doesn't piss fuel out of the drain hole on the underside of the pump. Works just like a bought one!

If anyone has a similar problem, I'd encourage you to have a go at fixing it with a new membrane. Here's the Australian supplier I bought the diaphragm material from (not ebay as I previously stated. I was confusing it with another purchase):
https://classiccarbs.com.au/Classic-...-Nitrile-Sheet
Dieseldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel