Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2013, 10:46   #16

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Re: Four stroke 5-6hp for 25' SV, which make?

Get a 2 stroke, used or in the Bahamas.

Your folk boat will suffer with the heavy (8 or 9) HP 4 strokes. In the 5 or 6hp range you asked about in the OP (which is all you want IMHO) the very best option is a Yamaha 6, 2stroke. The 4 strokes vibrate since they are all 1cyl in the sub 8hp range.

Honda makes a great product, but their 2-5hp 4 strokes suck. I have owned several makes, honda8 was great but too heavy... Tohatsu (exact same as mercury, Nissan) 6hp and it is terrible! Vibrates, corrodes quickly and is loud. Went back to a used Yamaha 6hp 2 stroke with no regrets.
Y
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 11:15   #17

Modern, small 4 strokes are very efficient but the carbs have tiny jets which are not tolerant of any bad practices. The following are essential if your engine is to prove reliable :

1) Gas should never be more than a month old. When it gets to a month, put it in your car and buy some new.

2) Stabil or similar should always be added.

3) The engine should always be run out of gas when you are done using it.

These 3 practices make the difference between a reliable, well-loved o/b and a temperamental nightmare.

Finally, most people over-use the choke when cold starting (and even when hot starting). Most engines will be happy with this procedure :

1) One pull with choke on, and just a little throttle.

2) Subsequent pulls should be done with the choke off, and starting throttle (as marked on the throttle dial)

When the outboard has been run at all the same day, don't touch the choke.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 11:33   #18

Here is an alternative to think about. Lehr makes a propane powered 5.5 HP outboard (they also make a 2.5 and 9.9 HP model). I've been in the market for a new outboard too since my Mercury 25 hp gave up the ghost. It would make my 11' Whaler scream, but getting the thing on and off the transom while at anchor or in a slip was just getting to be too much at my age (55).

I think a propane powered outboatd would be cool. At least I could quit worrying about Ethynol.

Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 12:37   #19

Boat: Mac 26X
Just to make it easy I'll say exactly the opposite of everything Faith just posted.
Old 14-02-2013, 12:41   #20

And I'd love to try propane ob! The seen pricey, but time will tell. Since I use propane onboard for cooking etc., powering the aux with the same fuel would be awesome, plus they are even quieter than a 4s and much less fuel issues!
Old 14-02-2013, 13:35   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
Get a 2 stroke, used or in the Bahamas.

Your folk boat will suffer with the heavy (8 or 9) HP 4 strokes. In the 5 or 6hp range you asked about in the OP (which is all you want IMHO) the very best option is a Yamaha 6, 2stroke. The 4 strokes vibrate since they are all 1cyl in the sub 8hp range.

Honda makes a great product, but their 2-5hp 4 strokes suck. I have owned several makes, honda8 was great but too heavy... Tohatsu (exact same as mercury, Nissan) 6hp and it is terrible! Vibrates, corrodes quickly and is loud. Went back to a used Yamaha 6hp 2 stroke with no regrets.
Y
I have the Yamaha 8 2 stroke which is the same engine, the only difference is the carb and the exhaust manifold. So I don't know why you'd bother with the 6 when the 8 is the same weight and has 2 extra hp. Having said that, mine is a 6 that I converted to 8!

The only problem is fuel consumption. 6 litres an hour is getting up there, to motor for longer periods is going to take a significant amount of fuel.
Old 14-02-2013, 21:08   #22

Boat: Joubert Koala 24
6 litres an hour from an 8hp 2 stroke???

I have a Yamaha 8hp 2 stroke. Goes through about 1.3 litres an hour at about 1/3 revs, which pushes my 24 footer at almost hull speed of 6-7 kn.
More revs use more fuel and give me an extra 2kn at most, so I don't bother unless I really need a boost.

Sits on a sprung transom mount which lifts it up vertically out of the water so she sleeps level.
Tomm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 21:17   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm0 View Post
6 litres an hour from an 8hp 2 stroke???

I have a Yamaha 8hp 2 stroke. Goes through about 1.3 litres an hour at about 1/3 revs, which pushes my 24 footer at almost hull speed of 6-7 kn.
More revs use more fuel and give me an extra 2kn at most, so I don't bother unless I really need a boost.

Sits on a sprung transom mount which lifts it up vertically out of the water so she sleeps level.
That is Yamaha's spec for WOT. Trouble is, to get my dinghy onto plane, it takes nearly full throttle! But whatever the power output, a 2 stroke will use nearly double what a 4 stroke does. They are not ideal for extended cruising.
Old 14-02-2013, 21:23   #24

Boat: Joubert Koala 24
Sorry I missed that it was wot on a dinghy. On my 24 it's pretty comfortable, quiet, light, and cheap.
I'd prob replace it with a 9.9 4 stroke if I had to.
Tomm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 05:48   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I can tell you this about the Lehr propane outboards, they are easy to start. They should be easy to start even after sitting for months without use.
I'm going to be hanging out some in the Lehr booth at the Miami boat show today.
If anybody is interested in buying one, we're going to have some boat show specials running the next few days. The 2.5 and 5 can ship UPS. Email me through my website for a quote.
Old 15-02-2013, 08:00   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar
I can tell you this about the Lehr propane outboards, they are easy to start. They should be easy to start even after sitting for months without use.
I'm going to be hanging out some in the Lehr booth at the Miami boat show today.
If anybody is interested in buying one, we're going to have some boat show specials running the next few days. The 2.5 and 5 can ship UPS. Email me through my website for a quote.
Do you see the process coming down to the comparable gasoline? Or are they inherently that much more expensive to build?
Old 15-02-2013, 09:59   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

At the Ft. Lauderdale show we were selling the Lehr at a couple of bucks less than the equilivalent Yamaha. I think they might be a little more expensive to build but the difference isn't much. I think propane outboards are worth more than a gasoline engine if you value the clean burning and easy starting. If you're interested in buying one, ask a dealer (preferably me) for a quote.
Old 15-02-2013, 19:30   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
At the Ft. Lauderdale show we were selling the Lehr at a couple of bucks less than the equilivalent Yamaha. I think they might be a little more expensive to build but the difference isn't much. I think propane outboards are worth more than a gasoline engine if you value the clean burning and easy starting. If you're interested in buying one, ask a dealer (preferably me) for a quote.
Your site lists the 9.9 for 2,629.00..That IS very comparable!You'll pay that or more for a Honda or Yamaha. How are sales? Is there really a 9.9? I don't see it on the Lehr site and all of yours are out of stock. I'd love to see this take off!!
Old 15-02-2013, 22:22   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I was hoping to have 9.9s to sell at the show but we haven't gotten them yet. The Lehr booth had three of them on display. One was a pull start, the other was electric start and the third was really neat. It was electric start with a lithium ion battery right under the hood. We cranked the engine a few times and the little battery spun it nicely. We should get the pull start and regular electric start motors in early march. The one with the self contained battery will be a couple of months more.
Old 15-02-2013, 23:16   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 40.5

I would have looked seriously at a propane outboard, when I purchased my Tohatsu. I had a propane Ford V8 several years back and it was reliable, clean and economical. I think propane outboards would do well in the marine environment. Hope sales go well for you
geoffh is offline   Reply With Quote