Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-02-2019, 08:16   #1

Boat: O'Day 28
Send a message via Skype™ to wmauldin
Exhaust in diesel engine's raw-water circuit?

So the symptom is exhaust--or some other gas--finding its way into the raw-water circuit of my Universal 5411 diesel engine. What's the disease?
The mystery occurred as I was working last weekend to troubleshoot a lack of cooling water circulating through the engine following a freeze. While messing with each and every hose in the water circuit (the engine is cooled with sea water and doesn't have a heat exchange), I noticed the problem.
Specifically, I took off the old hose (bypass hose?) that moves water from the main engine block/cylinder head to the exhaust manifold. When I started the engine, I was surprised to see that not only was there no water, but there was also exhaust or perhaps "blow-by" coming out of the engine side. Putting a thumb over the opening I was able to block it for a bit but a fair amount of pressure built up.
Later I fiddled with the raw-water circuit again and got water and (and subsequently antifreeze) circulating happily through the engine and exhaust manifold again. (I verified this by initially using a clear PVC tubing and could see the liquid coming through that short pipe.)
But the gas going into the water system worried me. I am also getting a fair amount of gas coming out the crankcase ventilation pipe on the top of the engine. Any thoughts on what, if anything, is wrong with the engine?
wmauldin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, exhaust, water