Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2006, 08:45   #1

European Fuel Cell Propulsion Project.

http://www.fuelcellsworks.com/Supppage5968.html

"A Full-scale demonstrator of a marine power plant based on fuel cells is planned for 2008 by north European partners in the pan-industry FellowSHIP research project.

Major economic, as well as environmental, benefits are claimed for the technology and the pilot application will be as a shipboard auxiliary. Launched under the Eureka programme, FellowSHIP is a three-year endeavour which was tasked with developing and testing marine and offshore power solutions using molten carbonate fuel cells and solid oxide fuel cells."

Looks like something that might benefit cruisers in the future, long after I've sailed for the last time.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2006, 12:07   #2
cruiser

They sure are creeping in, aren't they? I just read an article in the WSJ today about BMW offering fuel cells (along with regular engines at the same time) in their new 7 series cars. Maybe a few of the folks on here could get one. They're pretty far out of reach for me, and don't fit in the dinghy.

It will be interesting to see what might replace that diesel engine in the engine room. As my boat ages and the diesel gets tired, I hope to switch to something different, if it's available. Hopefullly, they can come up with a commercially viable product that will make economic sense to consumers.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel cell, propulsion