Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2013, 21:06   #1

Boat: SeaRay 440 Motor Yacht
Cat 3208 375HP V8 Diesels

Hi Everybody,

I need some help. My wife and I have busy planning our retirement, we're moving onto a boat!! Can't wait! The move is probably two years away, but we just found a 440 aft cabin SeaRay for an unbelievable price. Any thoughts on the vessel? My primary question though, is the engines. Twin screw, the engines have 2200 hours on them. The vessel is a 1989. Assuming the engines have been cared for, we won't complete the purchase without an engine survey, IS THIS TOO MANY HOURS? Diesels are capable of many hours, aren't they? Might seem like a dumb question, I've had boats, but they were all gas.... We're poor, can only do this once, so want to be as careful as possible. Appreciate any help......
jmcdboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 22:33   #2

Boat: 45 Hunter Passage - On-On
Pull oil samples for analysis have a competent mechanic do a survey on both engines
If maintained properly 2200 hours is nothing but if run hard and not treated properly they easily can turn into money pits
Take time look twice then once more for good measure
Good luck
mholubec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 23:44   #3

Boat: irwin 37 center cockpit
Re: Cat 3208 375HP V8 Diesels

we have those same engines on the fishing boat i work on, right now the port main has 18000 hrs on it and it burns a half gallon of oil a day, the stb has 5000 and doesn't burn a drop. we usually run them at 1450 rpms, and they don't burn that much fuel. they are great, you can get parts for them anywhere (you won't need them often, but when you do you can get them) and everyone can work on them. just make sure you use cat filters, not fleetguard or another brand (like mpl or fram) they just last longer. and when changing fuel filters, do both, its only a few bucks more and you don't have to worry about clogged filters shutting down the engine. (bleeding injectors sucks, and if it happens you'll wish you changed the secondary filter when you were at the dock cause you'll have to change both at sea too)
fisherman.ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 02:50   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Cat 3208 375HP V8 Diesels

They are good engines but they are also fuel hogs. If you are as you say "poor".
Start looking at single engines diesels like the most fuel efficient 40 footer on the market