Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 07:36   #1

Why. Used Seawind is so much Higher Price than Lagoon

I hv been looking at used cat. Why the seawind almost double the price of lagoon.

Any idea?
Gpolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:19   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Why. Used seawind is so much higher price than lagoon

They are generally regarded as a better built and thought out boat. Same as a Mercedes is perceived as worth more than a Ford. Manta and MaineCat are also in this category.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:39   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Maybe all of these post will help answer your question.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1112849
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:21   #4
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I dont think theyre double, maybe you are looking at a new seawind in Australia compared to a 10 yr old lagoon in BVI. you need to compare apples with bananas
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 13:02   #5
Marine Service Provider

Seawinds are great boats. They sail well, and are top notch in terms of build quality. Not my first choice in a boat, but a nice boat none the less.

The biggest advantage Lagoon has in pricing is the fact that there are a ton of them on the market... everything comes down to supply and demand...
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 13:21   #6

Boat: Seawind 1160 #50, 41 feet

I swear I didn't create a second account!

To the OP, totally agree. Great boat boat still over priced. Some joker in CA listed a 2006 1160 for $430k and the boat has basically ZERO blue-water gear (but of course it has air conditioning). I guess it is true, a lot of sailors are dreamers
Strikhedonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 14:46   #7

Boat: Lightwave 45

Just checked.

In Australia 3 late model seawind 1160 asking price $450-$530. Three late model Lagoon 400 - $400-$450.

One very late model Seawind ($520K) - one very late model Lagoon 400 (475K).

Nowhere near double.

Also the Seawind owners tend to advertise at high prices and settle for much lower (a long time after putting on the market) whilst the lagoons vice versa.

I really dont think there is a large difference - 10% tops.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 15:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
Just checked.

In Australia 3 late model seawind 1160 asking price $450-$530. Three late model Lagoon 400 - $400-$450.

One very late model Seawind ($520K) - one very late model Lagoon 400 (475K).

Nowhere near double.

Also the Seawind owners tend to advertise at high prices and settle for much lower (a long time after putting on the market) whilst the lagoons vice versa.

I really dont think there is a large difference - 10% tops.
I suggest you look again, 2005/2006 Seawind 1160s are typically listed at $430k-$480k and a 2005/2006 Lagoons are typically listed for $225k-$275K (Average on Yachtworld $249,194).

I do agree that Seawind 1160 owners (in the US) end up dropping the price significantly but they are still at good $100k more than a Lagoon.
Old 09-05-2013, 15:48   #9

Boat: Lightwave 45

Cant comment on the rest of the world - only Australia.

You have to remember that the majority of sellers are really not legitimate sellers. There are a number of Seawind owners here at the vintage you quote who have their boats on the market but as far as I can see will own them until they die, as the prices asked are totally unrealistic.

At the end of the day you have to look at actual prices attained, and if we assume that only 30% are legitimate sellers which is my experience then there are far more lagoons than seawinds and thus more legitimate sellers.

The fact of the matter is that given the smaller number of seawinds that are legitimately on the market you have to be significantly more patient to get one at the right price.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 16:53   #10
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
There's a Seawind 1160 for sale In Florida for around $339k. We've owned two Seawind 1000's and they both sold to the first person that looked at them. Maybe some prices are unrealistic but also there are so many Lagoons for sale that its a competitive market. Not so much the Seawind.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 17:19   #11

Thx all for the response...
One question. So many lagoon in 2nd market than seawind , is it because there were a lot of lagoon sold than seawind at the beginning. Or people dun like to keep the lagoon.
Gpolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 17:32   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpolar View Post
Thx all for the response...
One question. So many lagoon in 2nd market than seawind , is it because there were a lot of lagoon sold than seawind at the beginning. Or people dun like to keep the lagoon.
Many of the Lagoons were former charter boats. These boats are used 2-3 years and then sold which creates a larger number of boats on the market.
Old 09-05-2013, 17:34   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
There's a Seawind 1160 for sale In Florida for around $339k. We've owned two Seawind 1000's and they both sold to the first person that looked at them. Maybe some prices are unrealistic but also there are so many Lagoons for sale that its a competitive market. Not so much the Seawind.
I agree with you it is a competitive market right now. I have talked to the broker of the 1160 in FL and while the price is much closer to reality, he still expects more than what I think is reasonable. Give it a couple more months and I could be bragging about a new boat
Old 09-05-2013, 18:55   #14

Boat: Hunter 50 CC

Obviously, I'm biased and I don't believe that I have ever been on a Seawind, but I did a quick search and Lagoon has built over 2,000 catamarans and they are one of the most popular catamaran in the worldwide charter fleet. Yacht World has approximately 350 listed for sale for $110K to $2.6M. That is probably about 15% of the quantity built.

Seawind appears to have produced around 500 catamarans. YachtWorld has 33 of them listed for $2,200 up to $634K.

There are a lot of Lagoon catamarans that come out of the charter fleet when they are 5 years old.

Personally, I wouldn't have purchased a Seawind at half the price I paid for our Lagoon 450. Not because there is anything wrong with it. It is just a completely different boat than what we wanted. Asking why the Seawind catamarans are nearly twice the price of the Lagoon catamarans would be similar to asking why do Lagoon has sold for times the number of catamarans than Seawind has, or why do Lagoon catamarans have nearly twice the interior space of the Seawind catamarans.

You have probably seen this answer on Cruisers Forum before: Go to the boat shows and dealers and look at the boats based on how you plan on using it and what you can afford to buy, operate and maintain. Narrow down your choices after setting foot on the ones that might meet your objectives try to find a charter company, or even better a friend with those ones and get out and spend time on them doing the same type of activity that you would want to do if you owned it.

That's what we did and it was a good feeling to go to the Annapolis and Miami boat shows and look at all of the catamarans there and agree that we still have the one that meets the most of our priorities for less than half the price of the one which would be our 2nd choice (also a Lagoon). To each their own. Enjoy the hunt, and then enjoy using it even more.

And for Sand Crab: I tried to like Mercedes but the total cost of ownership is too high for what you get. However, I have never been disappointed by the Fords that we've owned.

Lucky Larry
Lucky Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:01   #15
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Larry View Post
Obviously, I'm biased and I don't believe that I have ever been on a Seawind, but I did a quick search and Lagoon has built over 2,000 catamarans and they are one of the most popular catamaran in the worldwide charter fleet. Yacht World has approximately 350 listed for sale for $110K to $2.6M. That is probably about 15% of the quantity built.

Seawind appears to have produced around 500 catamarans. YachtWorld has 33 of them listed for $2,200 up to $634K.

There are a lot of Lagoon catamarans that come out of the charter fleet when they are 5 years old.

Personally, I wouldn't have purchased a Seawind at half the price I paid for our Lagoon 450. Not because there is anything wrong with it. It is just a completely different boat than what we wanted. Asking why the Seawind catamarans are nearly twice the price of the Lagoon catamarans would be similar to asking why do Lagoon has sold for times the number of catamarans than Seawind has, or why do Lagoon catamarans have nearly twice the interior space of the Seawind catamarans.

You have probably seen this answer on Cruisers Forum before: Go to the boat shows and dealers and look at the boats based on how you plan on using it and what you can afford to buy, operate and maintain. Narrow down your choices after setting foot on the ones that might meet your objectives try to find a charter company, or even better a friend with those ones and get out and spend time on them doing the same type of activity that you would want to do if you owned it.

That's what we did and it was a good feeling to go to the Annapolis and Miami boat shows and look at all of the catamarans there and agree that we still have the one that meets the most of our priorities for less than half the price of the one which would be our 2nd choice (also a Lagoon). To each their own. Enjoy the hunt, and then enjoy using it even more.

And for Sand Crab: I tried to like Mercedes but the total cost of ownership is too high for what you get. However, I have never been disappointed by the Fords that we've owned.

Lucky Larry
Like you said, never been on a Seawind and probably know nothing about them. But as long as you're happy with your choice that's all that matters.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seawind, price, lagoon