Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2010, 18:22   #16

So as to not create confusion... some of my courses leading up to my 200 ton license were under sail, not all of them.
Living Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 02:32   #17
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
You're not going to find anything suitable for RTW sailing in that price range. Monohull sure, but not cats.
I think it's going to be pretty close price wise, but it's possible if they go with an older boat. There are two Catalac 12 meter boats (41 ft) for sale on my website. $125K for the boat and another $30k-$40K to tailor them for circumnavigation. Boat boats have crossed oceans and Catalacs in general have circumnavigated. One even survived the Queen's Birthday Storm off Fiji in '94.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 03:10   #18

Here is an interesting blog on circumnavigating and going around Cape Horn in a cat.

Fallado's Circumnavigation
marcoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 09:30   #19

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Lost View Post
Hi everyone,

While we love the look of the Robertson and Caine Leopards, we were told that this is more for one or two days chartering in easy waters like the Caribbean, and not suited for world cruising. We were given catamarans like Outremer, Atlantic, Catana, Kelsall, Maxim/Voyage for world cruising.
It would be interesting (not really!) to hear why someone would think a Maxim/Voyage would be any more or less able to go blue water than a Leopard. True, most Leopards have been built to charter, but really so are the Maxim/Voyage cats. Plus, they've all gone round the world.

Other cats you might add to the mix: St. Francis, Privilege, Manta, PDQ among others.

Are you truly planning on going around the great Capes, or is that just something you "might" do? Also, how long do you plan on taking?

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 18:06   #20

Blue water cruising

Hi, we had had 2 catamarans, both Dean 365's from South Africa, both costing SA Rand 300,00, the 1st trip we did wqas from Cape Town to the Caribbean in 1996, a brilliant trip, the boat was as sound and tough as you can imagine, we spent 2 years sailing to Florida, where we sold her, our send trip was in 2004, wher we sailed from Cape Town to Australia, via the South Atlantic, Panama and the Pacific, we encountered some terrible weather but the Dean 365 took everything thrown at her, you can buy one of these boats with the budget you have, we have sold our 2nd 365 in Australia and are now looking for a 3rd, by the way, we sold both boats for about 4 times what we paid for her, how many people can say that

I have been looking around at a few catamarans to buy for water sailing">blue water sailing, we will be cruising the world starting in San Diego and heading south to Tahiti and Fiji first.

While we love the look of the Robertson and Caine Leopards, we were told that this is more for one or two days chartering in easy waters like the Caribbean, and not suited for world cruising. We were given catamarans like Outremer, Atlantic, Catana, Kelsall, Maxim/Voyage for world cruising.

Firstly, what makes a catamaran suited for blue water cruising? Is it the composition, sails, construction, strength? Secondly, are we putting ourselves in danger by purchasing a Leopard for the cruising we will be doing?

Our budget is somewhere around $170k, but would like to keep it around $120k-$140k if possible. We are not looking for anything flashy, just a safe vessel that is self efficient (water maker, solar panels, etc).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S: I just love this sight, it inspires me to live my dream too.[/QUOTE]
windsongsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 19:41   #21

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsongsv View Post
Hi, we had had 2 catamarans, both Dean 365's from South Africa, both costing SA Rand 300,00, the 1st trip we did wqas from Cape Town to the Caribbean in 1996, a brilliant trip, the boat was as sound and tough as you can imagine, we spent 2 years sailing to Florida, where we sold her, our send trip was in 2004, wher we sailed from Cape Town to Australia, via the South Atlantic, Panama and the Pacific, we encountered some terrible weather but the Dean 365 took everything thrown at her, you can buy one of these boats with the budget you have, we have sold our 2nd 365 in Australia and are now looking for a 3rd, by the way, we sold both boats for about 4 times what we paid for her, how many people can say that
I think we'd all like to hear more about how you did that! Really, could you share some details?
Old 28-06-2010, 13:46   #22

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
I'd like to do that 10 times fast!
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 23:57   #23

windsong

Quote:
I think we'd all like to hear more about how you did that! Really, could you share some details?
Hi, not sure what I can tell you, our trip took us to St Helena, Accession Island, Brazil, French Guiana, Trinidad, ABC Islands, Columbia, Ecuidor, Galapagos Islands, French Polynisia, Northern Cook Islands, Westen Samoia, Fiji, Vanuatu, Australia. it took 8 months to cross the Pacific, we arrived with no sails and just 2 small engines getting us into harbour.
Old 29-06-2010, 00:24   #24

Quote:
Hi, not sure what I can tell you, our trip took us to St Helena, Accession Island, Brazil, French Guiana, Trinidad, ABC Islands, Columbia, Ecuidor, Galapagos Islands, French Polynisia, Northern Cook Islands, Westen Samoia, Fiji, Vanuatu, Australia. it took 8 months to cross the Pacific, we arrived with no sails and just 2 small engines getting us into harbour.
You missed the part I put in bold. I wanted to know more about how you sold two boat for 4 times what you paid for them. How did you do that?
Old 29-06-2010, 00:31   #25

windsong

Quote:
You missed the part I put in bold. I wanted to know more about how you sold two boat for 4 times what you paid for them. How did you do that?
That's simple, we paid the equivilent of $40,000 for each boat and sold them for $160,000
Old 29-06-2010, 00:53   #26

Quote:
That's simple, we paid the equivilent of $40,000 for each boat and sold them for $160,000
Can I still get one at that price in SA? Maybe two?
Old 29-06-2010, 13:15   #27

windsong

Quote:
Can I still get one at that price in SA? Maybe two?
Hi, unfotunately, not, I bought my last one in 2002, Dean built over 60 of these boats, I think only a handful remain In SA, if you can find one you will pay over SA Rand 500K, still a bargain for a tough ocean going catamaran
Old 30-06-2010, 18:39   #28

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
I would buy a Privilege, knowing what I know now. I might learn more later?
My wife would buy the newest 42' trimaran that we could find.
Who knows, I might end up on a Beneteau depending on how my budget ends up. I saw a nice looking 39 go for like 15k or 20k on yachtworld a couple weeks ago, it needed some work but hard to pass up a 50k boat for 15 or 20 even if it needs a couple weeks work and it's a hull or two shy of a complete boat.
We plan to coastal cruise for a couple years before we jump off the edge of the planet so my next boat doesn't have to be my last boat.
I'd much rather have a production monohull than no boat at all.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote