Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2015, 18:14   #166

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'
Re: Tri's or Cat's?

Some boats do use flex to dissipate stress. A wood boat is always more resilient than glass (better fatigue resistance) but hull shape is what determines the ride. The size range you posted is a good one. If you like Newick's boats his White Wings design is a great no fuss cruiser at 36'. The classic Cross and Marples boats can give you lots of boat for the money but the DF will out sail them. And you do need to check the different boats out, trimaran is one word but the differences are apples and oranges.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 18:15   #167

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
If you are considering the DF32 the you might want to look at the Corsairs and Farriers. I always thought the Contour 34 was really cool and there is or used to be one for sale on the left coast.
None of those are in the same league of build quality or refinement (or the same price range) as a DF-32.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 18:24   #168
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

All valid points guys- need to take my own advice and start sailing a few of them. Already have a invite this summer. Anyone down in Galveston that wants to go out? I will be there next week.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 18:32   #169

It's simple really. If you love to sail, love the feel of it, get a tri. If you want spacious and comfortable accommodations, get a cat

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:24   #170

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Thank you for the discussion of ride and hull shape. I am anal about the weather, and try not to out sail a system. I just seem to get hit every once in a while, and I want the boat to be able to take it.
I really agree with you about tacking up channels and passages. In that case smaller is better! I am thinking the new DF 32 may be the way to go. Something in the 32-37 foot range anyway, and will look at the Searunners pretty seriously too...
(bottom line- I am just as confused as when I started out, just confused about different stuff)
You currently have a Valiant 40. Unless you consider yourself rattling around in this, a DF32 is going to be a coffin. More so if you are taking a wife and any kid(s). If so, you won't be able to turn around in it without a coordinated plan.

I guess I don't understand what your plans/desires are for a new boat. I assumed they were for cruising, but if not, the DF32 would be a fantastic daysailor/weekender boat. I don't see it as a viable full-time cruising boat - especially for a family.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:43   #171
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mark, I got the Valiant because I was taking my entire family (8 at that time) sailing. Our family has continued to grow, and now the most I have on the boat is myself, my wife and two grandkids.
We know how to live small, having had 8 on a Bendy 34 before cruising for a few weeks. Heck, I even had 6 on my Compac 23 for short periods of time (scouts- don't go there)
Anyway, the point of this post is I am comfortable in small quarters, but the main reason I got the Valiant was for sea work and large family. I am now willing to explore maybe going to sea with something not quite as big, as long as I have a reasonable expectation of returning to port intact. That is why all the inane questions.
Is there a fast multi in my future? I think a tri pushes all the buttons. Now to go sail a few. Anybody chartering a tri out there?
Old 04-01-2015, 07:54   #172

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

No argument about trimarans for cruising - I am certainly less concerned about them than you are. My point was size. No matter how much you think you know how to live small, full-time cruising on something like a DF32 or Corsair 27 stretches that definition to breaking.

I am assuming you have not actually been on a 27-32' performance trimaran?

That Hammerhead 54' would fit the definition of living small while full-time cruising. A DF1200 would be even smaller, but certainly doable.

Anything smaller than those in a performance trimaran and I bet you will find yourself constantly needing to reinforce to yourself your original principals in order to continue to accept it.

Once you move into other, less performance designs, you have more reasonable options in LOA.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:42   #173

Unless folding is a priority, I'd go 40'+ in a tri. More room, more stable, more seaworthy. Yeah, I'd go to sea in a DF or an F boat, but bigger is inherently safer.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:44   #174
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So what do you guys do at marinas? Just anchor out 100%? My current marina has some shallow slips that they would let me have for cheaper, but it is still a $$ proposition. I have a diesel pickup, thought I would haul it out between adventures. (but that may be another story)
Thank you guys so much for the advice. Internet has gone about as far as it can go on this one!
Old 04-01-2015, 10:57   #175

We keep our tri on a mooring and skip the marinas. Anchorages typically have room in the shallower places closer in. During our month long cruise in the summer we stopped at the Canadian Customs dock going in, the public dock at Alert bay for a couple hours to take on water and do some shopping and the US Customs dock on the way back. Every one has their own style of cruising though. We like to get away from civilization. We actually have elbow room and a shower space + lots of deck so cabin fever isn't a problem. A folder could save you some money if you like to stay in Marinas.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:52   #176

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

"It's simple really. If you love to sail, love the feel of it, get a tri. If you want spacious and comfortable accommodations, get a cat."

------------

+1.
While our fully cruise equipped DF1000 with will easily smoke much larger cats, it gets smoked by Corsairs of equal size.

Our boat
Dragonfly 1000 catamaran: ingeniously designed sports cruiser

with solar, radar, fridge, watermaker, etc., sails about equally with a race ready F28.

C28 RS Racer (Aft Cockpit) | Corsair Marine – The worlds best trailerable trimaran yachts

We spend a month or so aboard every summer.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:20   #177

Boat: too many

I was under the impression you were looking for something for full time cruising. If you want something for 2~3 week outings a couple of times per year it would be hard to beat the Corsair, either the 31 or the new Cruze 970 that replaces the 31. The Cruz offers a bit more for the cruiser, but still hauls ass. My brother could set up his 28 from trailer to water in about an hour by himself. Saves a lot in marina costs. I sailed with him in San Diego and with me helping him, set up it took longer, the guy was just used to doing it himself and had a routine.

This is his boat at the ramp in San Diego. His home port is Santa Cruz. My truck with car hauler in the foreground. It was just one of those last minute invites to sail, I was in the area with all the cars already delivered.

Now on to the fun part of the Corsairs, they are very fast. At Tahoe the only other sailboats that could run with us were the other Corsairs on the lake. My brother is quite conservative in his headsail selection for any given conditions on the lake, we IMHO were always under canvased compared to the other boats but could still chase down all of them.

I'm sure you will have no problem finding someone with a Corsair to sail with and see how you like it. I can't speak for heavy weather or high seas cause as I said my brother was conservative.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 13:09   #178

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
So what do you guys do at marinas? Just anchor out 100%? My current marina has some shallow slips that they would let me have for cheaper, but it is still a $$ proposition. ----
I've never been charged more for my 26' beam except for one instance when I actually occupied two transient slips. I usually tie alongside a t-head or bulkhead and get charged the same as everybody else.
Maybe things are different on the left coast lol.
Old 04-01-2015, 13:17   #179

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

On the rare times we tie up in a marina, we usually are put on an end tie.
If there's plenty of room, we get a double slip for the price of one.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 15:05   #180

I forgot this dock in the Broughton's, great spot to start a load of laundry and go for a hike....

Full time cruising you need a boat big enough to carry enough stores/water for your longest passage plus safety margin for the amount of crew on board. Keeping within the payload is important for safety as well as performance. It is pretty easy to find places to stock up every week or 2 or oftener in the PNW for smaller boats and a fun way to see the towns. We have enough payload to provision for a long haul but still stop for fresh produce.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0723140927.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	94920