Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2016, 11:16   #1

Boat: Challenger 7.4 but looking for 30-40ft with a wheel
Tobago Cays Mooring for Lagoon 410

Hello Everybody

We are chartering a Lagoon 410 on the 16th of May from Horizon Grenada and heading to Tobago Cays via Union Island to snorkel. I was on the 'official' Tobago Cays website and tried to find out 'Fee Structure' info but it goes nowhere.

Could somebody out there give me some advice on what to expect? We would want a mooring ball for 2/3 days. We will be sailing north from Union Island and hooking around the top of Mayreau and then east to Tobago Cays. I will be asking Horizon for advice of course but you might know something that they don't.
earthmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:50   #2

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Re: Tobago Cays Mooring for Lagoon 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmover View Post
Hello Everybody

We are chartering a Lagoon 410 on the 16th of May from Horizon Grenada and heading to Tobago Cays via Union Island to snorkel. I was on the 'official' Tobago Cays website and tried to find out 'Fee Structure' info but it goes nowhere.

Could somebody out there give me some advice on what to expect? We would want a mooring ball for 2/3 days. We will be sailing north from Union Island and hooking around the top of Mayreau and then east to Tobago Cays. I will be asking Horizon for advice of course but you might know something that they don't.
The website Works for me. Gives 45 USD for a mooring.
I can't remember that I paid anything for anchoring back in 2012.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 16:24   #3

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I spent several days there last Feb . Great holding so I would just anchor . There is a park charge ,the rangers will come buy to collect . Have a good time

David
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
The website Works for me. Gives 45 USD for a mooring.
I can't remember that I paid anything for anchoring back in 2012.
When I go to the official website I get these headings

Getting Here
Attractions
Photo & Video Gallery
Fee Structure
Rules & Regulations
Visitors Survey

When I hit on Fee Structure it goes nowhere.

I am sure the folks at Horizon will fill me in next Monday it is just that I am a tad excited being the 'Skipper'. We all meet up in Toronto on Sunday before flying down to Grenada on Monday and I would like to be able to answer these types of questions that you know I will be asked
Old 11-05-2016, 06:15   #5

Boat: Oyster 55

Still plenty of room to anchor in the Cays.
Just use plenty of scope and back down on your anchor. Even dive on it to see if it set if you want.
You will be a lot safer than casting your fate to a mooring that may very well be suboptimal.
You need to develop the skill of anchoring to be a "Skipper".
Honestly you never know when you may have to anchor to save the boat and those aboard.....the cays are a perfect place to learn. Moorings are not always around but your anchor is.
It is a beautiful place so wishing you a fantastic trip.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:57   #6
Marine Service Provider

I agree with what the others have said. Moorings cost $45 ECD per day (2.67 ECD to 1 USD). You will also have to pay $10 ECD per person per day to be in the marine park.

The anchorage is so good that I rarely take a mooring ball there unless the conditions are really rough out in the main anchorage - then I will take a ball in the entrance channel for a smoother nights sleep. Be sure to say hi to my friend Romeo who does a beach BBQ in the Cays. During the season he does lobster - but this time of year it will be fish or chicken. Still an amazing experience. You will see his boat there with "Romeo" painted down the side.

Be sure to spend some time in Mayreau also. The prime spot there is Salt Whistle bay and the mooring balls go for $60 ECD per night. I recommend hiking up the hill into town to check out the view of the Cays from the church and checking in at Robert Righteous and the Youth for a cold beer after the hike up to town!

Hope you have a great sailing adventure!
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:01   #7

Boat: Outbound 46

I agree that anchoring is your best bet. Get Chris Doyle's guidebook for the Windwards, it is invaluable. He has recent info on marine park charges. We love Tobago Keys, but there are plenty of great snorkeling sites in the Windwards. Consider Bequia and Mustique. The folks at Dive Bequia are super nice.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:34   #8

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46

Be aware of the boat boys that come out to meet you don't need them. The white cans are park owned so you pay 45 ecd/ day. You will have certain times strong out flowing current so if you anchor make sure the boat will hold. Have seen a couple of catamarans drifting to Mayreau with no one aboard and dingies chasing them. The boys from Clifton will push you for $ do as you feel.
Have a good time and hope that you don't encounter the big sailing cruise ship. It seems to always be there with hundreds of old folks on walkers and oxygen tanks at the bbq.
Ernie on the Mary Jane
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:14   #9

Boat: Oyster 55

sailon46 is right on but those cats were not anchored properly. That is why you need to know how to anchor a boat....it is a basic necessity when one skippers a boat. It is not rocket science.
Also agree with the aggressiveness of the boat boys that come out of Union Island some of the worst in the Caribbean in my opinion. And that includes St. Lucia, St. Vincent and Jamaica!
Oh yes and the Cruise Ships are there way too much.
I have been many times since the late 70's and it like everything, changes sometimes not for the better.
It is however beautiful and you will have a great time. You will get to use your mooring skills when you visit Mayreau...no place left to anchor and I have personally seen moorings there made from ski rope and cinder blocks so be careful.
Last but not least one of my favorite places in that area is Carlisle Bay on the other side of Union. Beautiful beach and swimming pool like water as well as not being crowded. Enjoy!!!
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:46   #10

pirate Re: Tobago Cays Mooring for Lagoon 410

Like the others say...an thing is perfect there. We bareboat end from Horzon in Grensda last August. BEST charter company. Boats are a tad older, but they were great. Had a tad bit of problem with the OB on the dinghy, called the office and they had someone from Union motor out to fix it immediately. Very attentive group.
Follow the Chris Doyle book. We got so much info from it. If you want to buy t shirts at Tobago, only buy from Mr. Quality! His shirts are the best. Bought one that said "sail fast, live slow" and it's the softest t shirt ever! Has held up to many washings.
Be careful of the boat boys at SaltWhistle. If you go into the bay there be VERY careful of the reef on the right side of the entrance.
Be sure to carry a lot of water. It gets expensive! I think Karib beer is cheaper!
Do not missing the rum punch at Happy Island.Janti's the best bartender and so friendly! If you craze pizza, the Lazy Turtle on Carriacou is homemade and the view is great.
Any other questions, feel free to ask. Sorry I rambled but it was the best trip ever!
One last thing, check the phone they give you to be sure they put minutes on it in case of an emergency. You can always add minutes yourself at many outlets.
Have fun!
Sailgirl58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 18:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDsailing View Post
I agree with what the others have said. Moorings cost $45 ECD per day (2.67 ECD to 1 USD). You will also have to pay $10 ECD per person per day to be in the marine park.

The anchorage is so good that I rarely take a mooring ball there unless the conditions are really rough out in the main anchorage - then I will take a ball in the entrance channel for a smoother nights sleep. Be sure to say hi to my friend Romeo who does a beach BBQ in the Cays. During the season he does lobster - but this time of year it will be fish or chicken. Still an amazing experience. You will see his boat there with "Romeo" painted down the side.

Be sure to spend some time in Mayreau also. The prime spot there is Salt Whistle bay and the mooring balls go for $60 ECD per night. I recommend hiking up the hill into town to check out the view of the Cays from the church and checking in at Robert Righteous and the Youth for a cold beer after the hike up to town!

Hope you have a great sailing adventure!
Thanks for the info. I anchored at Salt Whistle two years ago just for a night after spending Easter in Bequia and I actually ran into Romeo on Union Island when clearing Customs

Tags
lagoon, mooring, Tobago