Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 09:58   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]
The Tobago has sections above the waterline that are foam cored in the hulls. The entire hulls are not cored. Its mostly mid sections, so near where the hull turns into the deck, there is no coring. This can all be seen inside if you look at the contours of the boat where there is no headliner present, like the port aft engine room, and the bows.

The bridgedeck is foam cored, and very thick.

The decks are mostly foam cored, but not everywhere (the bows for instance are not cored).

Below the waterline there there is no coring.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:42   #32

Re: Tobago 35 or Lagoon 37, which would you choose?

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the clarification on the Tobago. Now that you mention the bows...I have "seen the light" (sorry...couldn't resist ) thru them when looking at the boats so that makes sense.

-Mike
Old 06-07-2013, 10:44   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Viewed a 37 tpi today, does anyone know what parts are balsa cored and what is foam or solid? Loved.the layout and size but some concerns and other things may cross it off.
My TPI 42 appeared to be cored only above the waterline. I believe the French built boats were cored all the way. ( I saw a similar vintage 50? 52? that the owner was cutting apart and extending 6 ft and he said the french boats ,and his, were completely cored)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 16:14   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
I believe the Tobago is fibreglass construction below the waterline, however the TPI Lagoon 37 is balsa cored. We've had many discussions on here about that and each to their own, but I'd be going for the fibreglass construction on the bottom half. The Tobago still has balsa up top as many cats do.

Lagoon TPI would be galley down whereas the FP galley up which is a big consideration.
I was under the impression that the upper part of the Tobago hull was foam cored. I almost bought a Tobago, which is a good looking cat, but ended up buying a Lagoon 37. Although I didn't get a chance to sail the Tobago, I'm quite pleased with the Lagoon as it appears to be built very strongly, sails well, comfortable, and is a very sure-footed cat. Both good cats, so I don't think you'll be disappointed by either choice.
wchutchings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 17:36   #35

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisRatSailed View Post
Hey Mark,

Thanks for the clarification on the Tobago. Now that you mention the bows...I have "seen the light" (sorry...couldn't resist ) thru them when looking at the boats so that makes sense.

-Mike
A lot of FP's of that era are built disturbingly light in some places (..thus seeing the "light"), but they hold up well. TMM in Belize ran lots of them for many years. It seems they built them strong where they need to be and lighter in other areas. And, you see lots of this vintage of FP out cruising....many of them here in Panama.

Re OP's question: I've sailed both boats and second what appears to be the concensus here: either one will suit your intended use just fine. Buy the one you personally like the most. All the rest is somewhat...how many angels can you get on the head of pin stuff.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 17:55   #36

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchutchings View Post
ended up buying a Lagoon 37. Although I didn't get a chance to sail the Tobago, I'm quite pleased with the Lagoon as it appears to be built very strongly, sails well, comfortable, and is a very sure-footed cat. Both good cats, so I don't think you'll be disappointed by either choice.
Just curious did you watch the surveyor use a moisture meter anywhere thre was a hatch or stanchion or did any moisture issues turn up ? I viewed one recently, it was a great layout but had a LOT of issues...
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 20:46   #37

Boat: 1993 Lagoon 37 TPI

My wife and I have a 1993 Lagoon 37 TPI and we can provide some info and impressions. The hull is balsa cored both above and below the waterline, except for a strip approximately 8 -10 inches wide that runs down the bottom of both hulls from bow to stern. Thru hulls go here. According to boat reviews, vinylester resin and tridirectional glass was used in hull and deck construction. At age twenty, our boat has no sign of blisters.

My wife and I love the layout. It is very roomy and comfortable. The salon has an open and airy appearance, but can get hot in summer. The galley is down, but there is less obstruction between the galley and salon, so the cook doesn't tend to feel isolated as might happen on some other cats. Also, the L37 has plenty of headroom, which you may not find on FP.

We are very happy with the way the boat sails. Early numbers had a 4' draft (light weight), but this was cut by 6" in later years. The deeper draft has never been a problem for us, and probably helps us sail a little closer to the wind. We love the boat. The only problem is that family responsibilities keep us from throwing off the dock lines and heading out for a year or two, but I can't blame the boat for that.
Mike Sibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 11:24   #38

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)

For info on Cat Tales, a Tobago 35, try here:

Tobago 35 Personal Perspective
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 12:14   #39

Quote:
My wife and I are looking for a sub 40' catamaran to live-aboard and cruise (coastal Americas and Caribbean island hopping). We think we've narrowed our options down to the Lagoon 37 and the Fountaine Pajot Tobago 35. Each has its pros and cons and we are having a difficult time making up our minds. Since we are somewhat novice boat buyers, I'd like to throw the question out to the group. If you had to choose between these two, which one would it be and why? And if you've owned one, I'd really like to hear your pros and cons on the boat.
Hello,
I have owned a Lagoon 37 for a couple of years now. I bought it in Tortola, BVI and sailed it to Florida immediately after the purchase, without any incidents. Like you, I was undecided between the Tobago 35 and Lagoon 37, although I also inspected an Athena 38. I almost bought a Tobago 35 a couple years earlier, but other responsibilities intervened. As to the construction, I believe the Lagoon 37 is built stronger, which is apparent when just walking on its decks. I prefer the down-galley layout as it allows the bridge-deck saloon much more comfort and space to lounge and provides much more space for the galley. I never sailed the Tobago 35, but I'm sure it can hold its own in that respect, which is apparent from the hull design. As to the Lagoon 37, it's not a performance cat, but with its 54-ft mast (off the water line), it's a comfortable and safe fast cruiser that can sail at approximately half the speed of the wind. The only thing I think is preferable about the Tobago 35 is the choice of liners, carpet and wood cabin top. On the other hand, if you find a Lagoon 37 that has been maintained in good condition, then the choice of interiors is not an issue. After owning the Lagoon 37 for a couple of years now, I have no regrets and am pleasantly surprised the longer I own it. We just returned from a cruise to Key West and the Dry Tortugas with winds as high as 35 mph (just for approximately 15 minutes in a brief storm near the end of the trip), although most of the trip was within 15 and 20 knot winds, which was a delightful sail. As to the hatches, they are set in a solid perimeter of fiberglass, which isolates the hatch installations from the rest of the balsa-cored deck. So if the hatches appear to be leaking, the core should not be affected. So in summary, the Lagoon 37 is one sound cat. Good luck!
Old 23-05-2015, 12:26   #40

Why are you looking for a cat under 40 feet? As soon as you get over 40 feet, catamarans tend to pitch a lot less. They offer a much kinder motion. Have you considered a Lagoon 42?
DorisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 16:04   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorisT View Post
Why are you looking for a cat under 40 feet? As soon as you get over 40 feet, catamarans tend to pitch a lot less. They offer a much kinder motion. Have you considered a Lagoon 42?
I was also considering a Lagoon 42, but missed out on the opportunity. It seems they are very popular, regardless I have no regrets. While on this topic, the Lagoon 47 looks like an even better cat, if you don't mind all of the inconveniences of a large yacht.
Old 23-05-2015, 16:39   #42
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorisT View Post
But then again a cat over 50' should pitch less than a cat over 40', it's all relative.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 17:02   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
But then again a cat over 50' should pitch less than a cat over 40', it's all relative.
Yes, you're right. Cheers!
Old 23-05-2015, 18:01   #44

Wow...the revival of an old thread. Since I am the OP, figured I'd let you know how the decision turned out. I ended up not buying either boat, but instead went with a Leopard 38 as it had a good mix of the things we liked about the other two boats. After owning it about a year, I'm happy with the decision.

Sure, the longer the boat the smoother, but like everything else in a boat it is a trade off.
Old 24-07-2015, 08:50   #45

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief

Quote:
I ended up not buying either boat, but instead went with a Leopard 38 as it had a good mix of the things we liked about the other two boats. After owning it about a year, I'm happy with the decision.
We like the Leopard also. Did you go with a pre2008 (shaft drive)?
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, Tobago