Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2015, 08:23   #16

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop
Re: The happiest day is when a man sells his boat? Can someone explain this lunacy to

[QUOTE=StuM;1978871]Yep, the happiest day is the day you sell your boat...
Like it or not, there is some truth to this statement, and contrary to several
Other posts to this, not only first boat owners feel this way. I can't even count
how many boats I have had, and those that were no longer being used regularly
and continued to cost hundreds of dollars a month in upkeep quickly became a burden and I celebrated when they finally sold! As much as I liked them I was happy to see them go so I could replace them with a new and novel burden!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:04   #17

Boat: Prout
Re: The happiest day is when a man sells his boat? Can someone explain this lunacy to

Selling a yacht is like loosing a partner. You've gone through so much together, good and bad, weathered the storms, you've looked after her and she's looked after you. She'll always have place in you heart and the sound of her name will always bring back a flood of memories
inchcailloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:15   #18

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Going from being a two boat owner to a one boat owner is always a good day for me, but far from the happiest. The happiest was probably finding out that my (now) wife already had a boat (and I didn't).
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:23   #19
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

No this is an absolutely valid proverb of happiness, and if you daft enough to believe a "thing" will bring you happiness then talk to my slow waying hand. The reverse is also true. It's the saddest day when you purcha$$$e and when you sell.

"happiness" comes from experience, not from a material "thing". Get a grip, people.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:26   #20

Boat: Cheoy Lee 33 Ketch

I have always bought boats that needed a lot of TLC. Selling each boat has been kinda of sad because there is a large part of me in each one

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-12-2015, 09:34   #21

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

My wife says, "It might be my happiest day".

For the whole story, read her blog:
Adventures of a Scaredy Cat Sailor | Tips, tricks and laughs that can help make sailing enjoyable, really!
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:35   #22

Boat: Seaward 25

I was always sad on the day I decided to sell my various boats. But, by the time they actually sold, often months or even years later, I was usually just ready for the pain to be over. Keeping a boat in show condition while getting no inquiries is not fun. The emotional roller coaster of dealing with tire kickers can really get you down. I guess that is why I always hated it when I had to step into the salesman roll in my work.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:53   #23

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailsout View Post
My wife says, "It might be my happiest day".

For the whole story, read her blog:
Adventures of a Scaredy Cat Sailor | Tips, tricks and laughs that can help make sailing enjoyable, really!
Thanks for the link to your wife's blog!! Love this kind of stuff... going to go enjoy some reading.
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:53   #24

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
No this is an absolutely valid proverb of happiness, and if you daft enough to believe a "thing" will bring you happiness then talk to my slow waying hand. The reverse is also true. It's the saddest day when you purcha$$$e and when you sell.

"happiness" comes from experience, not from a material "thing". Get a grip, people.
I've only lived on two boats for the last twenty years, so I don't have that much experience, but the LAST thing I would consider either of my boats to be [have been] would be a material "thing"...
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:55   #25

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
I've only lived on two boats for the last twenty years, so I don't have that much experience, but the LAST thing I would consider either of my boats to be [have been] would be a material "thing"...

I agree with this 100%!

for us, it wasn't buying a material thing... we were buying a "lifestyle". And, yes... a lifestyle can certainly make you happy.... or sad, for that matter.
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:00   #26
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
I agree with this 100%!

for us, it wasn't buying a material thing... we were buying a "lifestyle". And, yes... a lifestyle can certainly make you happy.... or sad, for that matter.
Exactly, its the experience that makes you happy...or not. Enjoy spending money and maintenance. Enjoy the lifestyle. Enjoy the trail magic...or not. The thing is a tool.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:07   #27

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Exactly, its the experience that makes you happy...or not. Enjoy spending money and maintenance. Enjoy the lifestyle. Enjoy the trail magic...or not. The thing is a tool.
For so many, the "thing" IS part of the experience. Not everyone has to see their boat as a "material thing". If you do, fine...but not everyone feels that way. Without the "thing" the experience cannot exist.
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:15   #28

I think the statement is pretty accurate. Those in between selling/buying boats will not. But when you have your boat listed for 1.5 years paying upkeep, insurance and moorage, when it sells.. it's a very happy day!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:42   #29
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I've owned a lot of "things" but living on board a boat is more like a marriage than a possession.

You superstitiously commit to looking after each other, so that the experiences of
sailing thru good and bad times and weather, .... is a shared thing.

Not so much for the weekender, but the Voyager, where selling is more like a divorce than a transaction.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:48   #30
cruiser

Boat: Carpenter

I'd be overjoyed to see the stern of a hideous home-made ferrocement tub knowing that the arrival of a new Hallberg Rassy 64 was imminent
yotpop is offline   Reply With Quote