Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2017, 13:07   #46

Re: Should Seawind owners see this?

Regarding the Wicked Salty incident -

Their latest vlog states that they were in a shallow anchorage, with only about a foot under the keel. They had a leak in one of the thru hulls and it sank as much as it was going to in that shallow water. They have talked to the insurer and have decided to take the money and claim it a loss to start fresh.

Not trying to derail, just updating relevant into.
WestCoastRix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 13:19   #47

So what can we learn from this sad and unfortunate incident?

Ok, the general consensus appears to be that the water tight bulkheads could have done a better job.

From the layout below it appears as though in attempt to maximize interior space the water tight sections may be , how you say? a little tight.

So my questions are : Do prospective buyers understand the importance of WATERTIGHT bulkheads? Should we as multihull enthusiasts through forums like this inform those seeking information on multihulls the importance of safety features , such us properly sized and positioned watertight bulkheads.?
Can we trust builders to do the right thing and include expected multihull safety features such as a safe habitable platform if holed?
Old 16-10-2017, 13:27   #48
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post

Ok, the general consensus appears to be that the water tight bulkheads could have done a better job.

From the layout below it appears as though in attempt to maximize interior space the water tight sections may be , how you say? a little tight.

So my questions are : Do prospective buyers understand the importance of WATERTIGHT bulkheads? Should we as multihull enthusiasts through forums like this inform those seeking information on multihulls the importance of safety features , such us properly sized and positioned watertight bulkheads.?

Can we trust builders to do the right thing and include expected multihull safety features such as a safe habitable platform if holed?

Should we all determine the size of the watertight areas based on an interior layout? No, that would be stupid. Based on this layout picture the area under the forward bunks could all be an enclosed watertight area. Also from the stern to the forward portion of the starboard aft bunk could be fully enclosed as could the area from stern to the aft part of the head.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 14:37   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

[QUOTE=Seaslug Caravan;2500589]
Quote:
That you shouldnt park on lee shores on a warning marker bouy?
Quote:
And whose consensus is that? You have no idea where the massive hole in the boat is/was.

Quote:
And you judge this how?

Quote:
So my questions are : Do prospective buyers understand the importance of WATERTIGHT bulkheads?
I don't know - ask them.
Quote:
Should we as multihull enthusiasts through forums like this inform those seeking information on multihulls the importance of safety features , such us properly sized and positioned watertight bulkheads.?
Absolutely - suggest you write to all the manufacturers and ask them directly, look forward to your collection of data
Quote:
I am sure others can talk on other brands, but a few things. First the Seawind 1000 in all its variants is the single most successful sail boat in charter/commercial survey in Australia. They continue to meet all Australian Maritime Safety Authority requirements for commercial operation, from bare boat to skippered cruises. Second they are now superseded, haven't been able to buy them new for quite a while. Third I would hope that people get their information from qualified experienced professionals and not people who think that a plan drawing tells you something about water tight bulkheads.

For the record see plan below with further information.

AGAIN, I ask, what is your qualification to speak on these issues, do you have any? Have you ever even sailed a Multi. As the Desiderata said, even the dull and the ignorant are entitled to tell their story, but it does help if we know whether your musings have any basis in qualification or experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seawind-1000xl2-layout-top-deck.jpg
Views:	974
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	157814  
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 15:51   #50

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

The front bulkheads are watertight. The back ones are not. Remember there are vents in the stairs. In the port hull, these are important to draw air in when the fan is running to force flue gas out the hot water heater vent. On the other side, it is just for ventilation. That said, both sides have bilge pumps and float switches. Important thing is stay away from slamming the rudder up thru the hull! That said, I've been aground more times than I want to admit and have never had a leak.

I've owned a Seawind 1000 for 13 years. Have cruised it for as long as six months (TX to Bahamas and back), raced it a lot including offshore conditions that made everyone onboard sick but no boat issues, and mostly a lot of day sailing. It is a fantastic boat that sails very well for its length. Only thing I can see replacing it is a Seawind 1160 Lite, or an 1190.

Oh, and mine survived Harvey. Only lost the vhf antenna. Wind gust up to 194 mph, and we are located within 20 miles of hurricane center. Tall pilings and Tide Slide system. As soon as they finish removing the sunk boats and debris around here, I'll take her out again.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 18:15   #51

Re: Seawind owners should see this

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
I've owned a Seawind 1000 for 13 years. Have cruised it for as long as six months (TX to Bahamas and back), raced it a lot including offshore conditions that made everyone onboard sick but no boat issues, and mostly a lot of day sailing. It is a fantastic boat that sails very well for its length. Only thing I can see replacing it is a Seawind 1160 Lite, or an 1190.
Hope you don't mind, but what max speeds is your Seawind capable of?
UpOnStands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 20:17   #52

Quote:

This may come as a shock, but you, alone, do not constitute a consensus.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 20:46   #53

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpOnStands View Post
Can't speak for others but my odometer for a Seawind 1000 with the stern extensions like a Seawind 1000XL hit 13.9 knots and I frequently cruise between 10 and 11 knots in normal 15 knot winds and fairly calm seas which minimize surfing.

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - tomfl's Album: harbor - Picture
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 22:32   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpOnStands View Post
Guess Tom sails his a little faster than me. We don't have a screacher, which is probably the setup that gets the fastest speed. In 15 knots of wind on a reach, we have speeds similar to Tom - maybe 8 to as high as 10.5 knots. In lighter wind and beating, the displacement hull speed seems to be around 7+ knots, which is also about where the motors max out (7.2 knots). I do not have the hull extensions that the XL have, so a little slower as the sterns drag. One offshore race we did had high wind (30-33 knots), and was a loose beat. We were double reefed on the mainsail. We sailed steady at around 13 knots with some stretches as high as 15 knots. We were plowing into the backs of waves, and some breaking over the bow and washing over the hardtop. Although we took first place in our division, it was not especially fun. Two of our four "seasoned offshore" crew were seasick for most of the race, and the third guy was along mostly for the ride. I got sick as well - even after taking the drugs before the race - but when its your boat, and no one else left to steer, you just suck it up!
Old 16-10-2017, 22:48   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Mods have removed a few posts where the air got a bit heated and the tone not nice. You know who you are.

Please stick the the facts with a heavy sprinkling of 'be nice'.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 22:59   #56

Re: Seawind owners should see this - for sure

thanks to Tomfl and Weavis, great numbers considering that the Seawind is not a pared down open-bridge deck speedster.
UpOnStands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 23:05   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

During my tenure on Cf as a lurker and participant, I have always looked forward to tomfl posts and careful evaluations of whatever topic he is discussing. Based on daily cruising experience and Seawind models in particular.

Tom introduced me to Seawind through his musings. For the record, I am not a lover of the layout, but am appreciative of a fine marque. It is probable that I prefer a more European design, but that aside, if an event happened that I ended up owning one, I dont think I would be disappointed...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 02:16   #58

Quote:
The front bulkheads are watertight. The back ones are not.
Thanks for the info sailjumanji.

I'm interested in the amount of buoyancy one would gain turning the fore and aft bunks into void spaces. I assume they have storage under, is this correct

Can you tell us how wide those fore and aft double berths are? I tried scaling them off but kept getting quite narrow measurements.
Old 17-10-2017, 12:33   #59

Quote:
Thanks for the info sailjumanji.

I'm interested in the amount of buoyancy one would gain turning the fore and aft bunks into void spaces. I assume they have storage under, is this correct

Can you tell us how wide those fore and aft double berths are? I tried scaling them off but kept getting quite narrow measurements.
Nope, I'm not going to feed the insanity. Seawind built almost 300 of these 1000 and 1000XL models. As someone pointed out previously, they met all Australian Maritime Safety Authority requirements for commercial operation, from bare boat to skippered cruises. Historically there's been an active Seawind owners group on-line, and I've never heard anyone hint of needing more watertight bulkheads in place of storage.

So you found a single picture of a boat that got holed, and is listing while being towed, and that says there is a design issue? I think the "concensus" from the owners is that its a pretty good boat. Which is probably one reason many owners hold onto them for a long time (I'm not unusual, owning one for 13 years). And they hold their value well.

Oh, and another thing you are wrong about. Late in the model run, Seawind added 3 foot hull extensions to the 1000 and marketed it as an XL. Provided more buoyancy aft where it was needed for heavier dinghy on davits, nice boarding platform, and made for a clean water exit. The boat already had the mast, sail area and width of a 36 ft boat. So the "concensus" is that hull extensions were a good thing. As an aside, Seawind was lucky that a group of owners in Florida actually developed the extensions, and proved them. Then Seawind changed the design.
Old 17-10-2017, 12:50   #60

Quote:
Late in the model run, Seawind added 3 foot hull extensions to the 1000 and marketed it as an XL. Provided more buoyancy aft where it was needed .

Thanks sailujumanji for taking the time to contribute.

All good information.

I understand the one pictured was fitted with stern extensions. I was hoping to have this confirmed.

I will run a tape over the one down at the yard this week, if I get the time, and report back.

Thanks again.

Tags
Seawind, wind