Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2010, 11:11   #1

Seychelles - Caribbean / FLorida - Lagoon 380

Hello, first post time ... I have just read the interesting posts about the Lagoon 380, mine is currently in the Seychelles but I want to move it to the Caribbean/Florida in about 15 months time ... I am already thinking about how I might do this. Can anyone point me to a website that has good ocean crossing advice for the preparation of both the skipper/crew and the boat. I see from other Lagoon posts that some of you have done passages in this yacht, what additions/changes would you recommend for the boat?

I'm currently planning on going via South Africa, St Helena, Ascension and then along the north coast of Brazil and on to Trinidad before taking the island hop trip of a lifetime! I figured I preferred the Agulhas to the pirates ... and we get more stopping off points!

Any other input on such a trip would be appreciated.

Farmer
firlandsfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 06:38   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31
There are two routes to take from Mahe to SA, but the better would be south via the Mozambique Channel in October. The route via Reunion will have head winds at that time of the year. Then work your way down the east coast of SA, staying in the current before cutting a bit more inshore after Agulhas. Provision and prep in Cape Town for your final departure – after clearing you can get duty free diesel and liquor/cigaretts. Aim for St Helena but keep well east of the Valdiva Banks, which are halfway between Cape Town and St Helena.

I personally would not then head for Ascension Island – St Helena is a fantastic place but I have not lost anything in Ascension, but go directly to a waypoint 04deg40’S and 035deg00’W and then up the northern coast of South America, basically sticking to the 1000 metre contour, which will give you at least five days of 2 to 5 knot current assisting you up the coast towards Trinidad.

If you want assistance/guidance, I have done this trip many times - just PM me. John.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, florida, lagoon 380, Seychelles