Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2012, 20:00   #31

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753
Re: Seawind Moving Most Production to Vietnam

I think Henry Ford was the only guy who thought the workers at his plants should be able to buy the cars they made, but that went away with banks
Old 22-01-2012, 22:55   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Please don't cross examine me on what I am about to say, I am not a business spokesperson for the company, just a local agent.

However, yes the 1000XL2 and the 1160 production is now in Seawind's factory in Vietnam, the build has not been outsourced to a yard in SE Asia, its in a factory that Seawind owns and has its own senior staff. (The Corsiar production facility which Seawind bought last year along with the Corsair line of tri's). The corsairs have been built to an extremely high standard in this facility for some years.

The 1250 remains fully built in Australia and the 1000XL2 will be heavily commissioned in Australia. Seawind is still an Australian company and many of the senior people in the Vietnam facility are Australian. Seawind remains the biggest production sail boat builder in Australia. Everything else remains the same, you buy a 1000XLs it will still be delivered to you at Seawind's brand new private marina facility in Rozelle in Sydney. You have a question or a a need for service its still your local agent and the service manager in Bellambi that will resolve the issue.

Don't expect price drops, expect a company that remains profitable and continues to provide employment to many people in the Wollongong area and elsewhere.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 00:14   #33

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Thanks for posting this information Factor which is most appreciated to clarify the situation.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 04:20   #34

Boat: Seawind 1160, 38 foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Mick C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor
Please don't cross examine me on what I am about to say, I am not a business spokesperson for the company, just a local agent.

However, yes the 1000XL2 and the 1160 production is now in Seawind's factory in Vietnam, the build has not been outsourced to a yard in SE Asia, its in a factory that Seawind owns and has its own senior staff. (The Corsiar production facility which Seawind bought last year along with the Corsair line of tri's). The corsairs have been built to an extremely high standard in this facility for some years.

The 1250 remains fully built in Australia and the 1000XL2 will be heavily commissioned in Australia. Seawind is still an Australian company and many of the senior people in the Vietnam facility are Australian. Seawind remains the biggest production sail boat builder in Australia. Everything else remains the same, you buy a 1000XLs it will still be delivered to you at Seawind's brand new private marina facility in Rozelle in Sydney. You have a question or a a need for service its still your local agent and the service manager in Bellambi that will resolve the issue.

Don't expect price drops, expect a company that remains profitable and continues to provide employment to many people in the Wollongong area and elsewhere.
Hi factor, thanks for dropping in. i have seen in threads that there is talk of a move to Nowra...what is the facts about Nowra rather that have spectulation. thanks mate.
Mick
ps Terry Jones has Whiskers sw1250.6 in our club (MYC)...and its a whole lot of very nice boat!
Old 23-01-2012, 09:17   #35

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Globalization is another word for exploitation of cheap labor to maintain or increase profits. It results in short term profits, but long term it is stealing from Peter to pay Paul. When you send all the Ozzie jobs overseas, then the Ozzies won't have the jobs and the cash to buy the sailboats. It is non-sustainable long term.

I get discouraged when I walk into a store, and the majority of the products are from China. I want to support the jobs in my own country, but it gets harder with each passing year.

This problem will continue as long as governments pursue policies that make manufacuting at home more expensive, and they favor those who move the jobs overseas.
Dunno Dave, I think the biggest factor sending jobs overseas is simply wage discrepancy, not government policy. How do we compete with a labor force that makes an average of 57 cents/hr?
http://www.bls.gov/fls/chinareport.pdf

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 14:18   #36

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Dunno Dave, I think the biggest factor sending jobs overseas is simply wage discrepancy, not government policy. How do we compete with a labor force that makes an average of 57 cents/hr?

Mike
Wages are certainly the big one but without doubt increased Govt imposed costs become the tipping point.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 14:07   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100

Mike
By reputation and quality. How many sailors have dodgy Rocna anchors from China? Or wind generators that crack up in a year. I'll be looking for US or UK produced gear that can be easily delivered to Aust and lasts. False economy to buy from China.
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 14:11   #38

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeto View Post
By reputation and quality. How many sailors have dodgy Rocna anchors from China? Or wind generators that crack up in a year. I'll be looking for US or UK produced gear that can be easily delivered to Aust and lasts. False economy to buy from China.
Your comments is a gross generalization and ill informed
China can build to any sort of quality that the client and price dictates.
they build Mercedes, BMW and Audi's (as well as ford's) FFS
Old 24-01-2012, 14:32   #39

Quote:
How do we compete with a labor force that makes an average of 57 cents/hr?
Mike
Interesting Article Mike though possibly a bit out of date (2005)

What I find interesting now is China is actually buying up factories in the US.
Factories are already in place in many instances and a languishing workforce is waiting for work.
The US people should be grateful

Role Reversal: Chinese Manufacturers Setting Up Shop In America @PSFK

China's Suntech to build factories in the U.S. | Green Tech - CNET News

EUobserver.com / Economic Affairs / China looking to snap up EU factories, railways

I wonder what the China bashers - Pro US crowd will do then?
Old 24-01-2012, 14:58   #40

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Recently I have heard about wages increasing dramatically in China. The workers have traded bikes for motorcycles, and now motorcycles for cars. Owning one's own home "in town" is a growing dream.

A rising standard of living, people moving from the country to the city. Several new coal fired power plants coming online each and every week. History repeating itself in another country.

The scale of change is enormous with that size population.

The writer of the article concluded that within a few short years there will be parity in production costs compared to other countries.

The statements above about China buying overseas factories supports this conclusion in my opinion.

I think US workers in Alabama are very glad to have Mercedes, Hyundia, Toyota and others opening production facilities here. I have no doubt Chinese companies would be welcome as well. It's a New South kind of thing. Except we have always preferred to work hard at a good job, then get off work and go shoot guns and raise hell in four wheel drives. And go fishing of course. Don't think that will change. Just need a good job to keep the truck fixed and feed the kids.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 16:47   #41
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:

Mike
It's quite easy - could have done it 20 years ago. could do it today.

For any overseas manufacturer who wishes to sell into a Western market (direct or via others) must meet not only the health and safety standards for the products (no lead paint on toy soldiers and wiring not 3 bits of string ) which they have to do at present......but also:-

1) that the workers must be employed with the same benefits as those within the Western Country that sales are made into. The wages can still be cheaper, but there costs added to by Pensions, sick pay, paid holidays, healthcare (private, if not provided by the State to a similar standard as in Western Europe) and unemployment benefit. Also throw in an ethnic diversity requirement and suddenly those Tibetans have a $$$ value - above simply a means to keep warm on a cold day ). I would also include Union recognition (the folks who invented the weekend ).

2) Might also require that the Workers enjoy the same rights as in the West - principally the ability to vote for a Govt of there choice .

The cost of compliance (via spot inspections and regular monitoring by Westerners from the country sold into) to be met by the exporter. In cash . and of the course all the requirements should be a constantly moving target .

The idea being not simply to help level the playing field on costs - but also to make manufacturing simply too much aggro and provide a window of opportunity for home market based production - even if owned by foreigners (ala Toyota etc).

Long term it's a win win for both sides .

Won't happen of course .

For those selling Seawinds, does that now make 'em Vietnamese boat people?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 17:03   #42

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Nice one Dave - I like it -
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 18:18   #43

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post

I wonder what the China bashers - Pro US crowd will do then?

We will learn to speak Chinese and bow, which is their plan.
Old 24-01-2012, 18:21   #44

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
It's quite easy - could have done it 20 years ago. could do it today.

For any overseas manufacturer who wishes to sell into a Western market (direct or via others) must meet not only the health and safety standards for the products (no lead paint on toy soldiers and wiring not 3 bits of string ) which they have to do at present......but also:-

1) that the workers must be employed with the same benefits as those within the Western Country that sales are made into. The wages can still be cheaper, but there costs added to by Pensions, sick pay, paid holidays, healthcare (private, if not provided by the State to a similar standard as in Western Europe) and unemployment benefit. Also throw in an ethnic diversity requirement and suddenly those Tibetans have a $$$ value - above simply a means to keep warm on a cold day ). I would also include Union recognition (the folks who invented the weekend ).

2) Might also require that the Workers enjoy the same rights as in the West - principally the ability to vote for a Govt of there choice .

The cost of compliance (via spot inspections and regular monitoring by Westerners from the country sold into) to be met by the exporter. In cash . and of the course all the requirements should be a constantly moving target .

The idea being not simply to help level the playing field on costs - but also to make manufacturing simply too much aggro and provide a window of opportunity for home market based production - even if owned by foreigners (ala Toyota etc).

Long term it's a win win for both sides .

Won't happen of course .

Yep.
Old 24-01-2012, 19:21   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
We will learn to speak Chinese and bow, which is their plan.
And several hundred years in the making.
Western politicians can only manage to think 4 years ahead

I for one welcome our new Chinese overlords

Tags
Seawind, Vietnam