Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2015, 08:14   #1

Sandy

We are contemplating a purchase of a used Catana from the factory in France. Can anyone recommend a surveyor and a captain to sail it back to the US. I have heard I will not have to pay the VAT I will just have to pay my local sales tax when I return. Is there any other suggestions folks have who may have been in a similar boat?
sjaversa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 08:29   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Sandy

Boatman61 is a delivery captain and regular poster here.
You will have to pay the 1.5% US import fee assuming that it is a non US boat. Where is it flagged now?
Old 13-03-2015, 08:59   #3

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjaversa View Post
I have heard I will not have to pay the VAT I will just have to pay my local sales tax when I return. Is there any other suggestions folks have who may have been in a similar boat?
Where is "local"?

Which model Catana?

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 10:16   #4

Thanks for your response, the boat is in France. Also, I will try to contact boatman61. Anyone used a surveyor in France?

Cantana 431
Old 13-03-2015, 11:18   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Quote:
We are contemplating a purchase of a used Catana from the factory in France. Can anyone recommend a surveyor and a captain to sail it back to the US. I have heard I will not have to pay the VAT I will just have to pay my local sales tax when I return. Is there any other suggestions folks have who may have been in a similar boat?
What is your time-scale? I do on average two of these trips a year In May I'll be bringing a cat from Greece across to the Eastern Seaboard.

You can check out my profile here on cf.

I'll be out of contact for just over a week as I am running a monohull from BVI up to Hilton Head on Sunday. I'll pick up messages when I get back on the grid!!

cheers, Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 03:39   #6

We haven't into ironed out the time line we are still negotiating.Have you sailed a Catana if so how did you like it? Also what would be your rate from France to Boston?
Old 14-03-2015, 03:57   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post
What is your time-scale? I do on average two of these trips a year In May I'll be bringing a cat from Greece across to the Eastern Seaboard.

You can check out my profile here on cf.

I'll be out of contact for just over a week as I am running a monohull from BVI up to Hilton Head on Sunday. I'll pick up messages when I get back on the grid!!

cheers, Tony
LOL... Tony.. we always seem to be on opposite sides of the Pond mate..
In May I'm bringing a 35ft mono to Gib from Florida.. have a safe, smooth run..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 04:18   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sandy.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 05:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
LOL... Tony.. we always seem to be on opposite sides of the Pond mate..
In May I'm bringing a 35ft mono to Gib from Florida.. have a safe, smooth run..
Nice one, Phil!! Taking a boat OUT of the US is simple - its the taking IN which causes the problems for us "aliens". Since my B1/B2 expired I have to do it under the ESTA/90 day visa waiver (By the way - make sure your ESTA is in date!!). From BVI, I fly via the States (thus getting my 90 day stamp in my passport), then I've got 90 days to get the boat from Greece and get myself back out of America....bit of a palaver but it works ok - so far!! The short answer of course is to renew my B1/B2 !!

Have a safe one!!
Old 14-03-2015, 05:57   #10

Quote:
We haven't into ironed out the time line we are still negotiating.Have you sailed a Catana if so how did you like it? Also what would be your rate from France to Boston?
Hi Sandy, yes, I've sailed a few of them! I've also managed one in BVI for a private owner for a couple of seasons.

I like 'em and never had a problem, though I find the dagger-boards can be a bit of a pain: they don't like being down at over 8 knots, you hardly need them off the wind, and when they are up, with the stern steering stations (which of course are always in the weather, by the way), they do restrict your visibility somewhat. Of course, on the wind, they do do their job and make the boat pretty close winded - though I always think that modern catamaran hull-shapes (especially F-Ps) are pretty close-winded anyway.

As for a Quote for the delivery, check your private message Inbox.

best for now, Tony
Old 14-03-2015, 06:03   #11
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Hey Tony, we are in little harbour, peter island. Would have been nice to catch up for a beer but seems your about to set sail again. ( more likely motor given the forecast )
For the OP, I can recommend both of these guys for a delivery. Where is the catana located in France ?
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 06:09   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Hey Tony, we are in little harbour, peter island. Would have been nice to catch up for a beer but seems your about to set sail again. ( more likely motor given the forecast )
For the OP, I can recommend both of these guys for a delivery. Where is the catana located in France ?
Damn!! Monte - I'm looking at Peter Island from my balcony on Tortola as I write!! I'm catching the 2.30 ferry to STT (The "alien clear-in procedure") whilst crew who is already cleared in is taking the boat down - so we'll miss each other I'm afraid!

Agreed about the weather - its been exceedingly "odd" lately but is - sort of - looking reasonably ok for the trip to Hilton Head!

cheers,
Old 14-03-2015, 06:33   #13

sjaversa - I've sent you a PM regarding the Catana Owners Group yahoo forum.

Quote:
though I find the dagger-boards can be a bit of a pain: they don't like being down at over 8 knots
Don't like being down over 8 kts? Can you please elaborate on that?

They don't need to be all the way down over 8 kts. Catana recommends they can be all the way down if desired up to 8 kts water speed, they half way down above 8 kts. I rarely put mine down over half way - more than that only in light conditions and flat water. They can break and no need to test this when going fast and they're not needed.

As for the boards restricting visibility from one of the helms, well yes, sorta, when fully up your view is severely limited by seeing the edge-on profile of the board....

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3541.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	409.5 KB
ID:	98848  
Old 14-03-2015, 06:42   #14

Hi Dave - yes - over 8 kts according to the catana boat manual I read, they should be up. I had to pull a board after the owner had grounded it - they are Huge and quite difficult to get out of their trunk - and quite expensive to repair!! Tony
Old 14-03-2015, 07:09   #15

Quote:
Hi Dave - yes - over 8 kts according to the catana boat manual I read, they should be up.
Roger, thanks, but actually not entirely correct. Per Catana they should not be over half down above 8 kts up wind. I bet this is what you meant.

They would be hard to remove without a crane to lift them straight up. Coincidently I have mine out right now to do some minor glass work and be painted. I had them pulled out by a crane the same time I unstepped the mast. During this process I plan to weigh them just for curiosity. It's pretty easy for two people to carry them around, though.

I have lifted them almost all the way out with the main halyard, but they tend to bind up from the lifting angle.

Dave