Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2015, 21:12   #1

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Question

So I'm wondering why no one secures their trampoline with tie straps (zip ties).

They make UV rated tie straps that are good to 200 lbs. That seems more than strong enough when you consider how many tie points there are. They also make a tool for tightening and cutting that makes it super simple.

Another option would be stainless steel tie straps, they are available in both 304 and 316 with a common tensile strength of 250 lbs. These would be a little more problematic as its hard to cut them and not leave a sharp edge, even with the tool.

I cannot be the first person to think of this! How come no one does it?
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 03:28   #2

Re: Question

Hmmm, interesting not sure the boys at the yacht club would appreciate! But I kind of like the idea...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailingcouple13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 03:42   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

My experience of UV rated cable ties is that they are not really UV stable; best described as UV resistant - IMO.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 04:07   #4

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Other point may be chafe resistance.If the get a slight cut by something, they snap.

Still, very interesting idea.Might be worth trying..

Sent from my C6603 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-05-2015, 06:37   #5
cruiser

Because the stainless would be painful to step or lay on, would have to be burnished/polished to keep from chafing the nets, and Dyneema line lasts longer than any zipties and is also softer on feet and backsides.

I went through a lot of trouble to remove the metal bits from my net flanges, replacing with plastic grommets, and laced my Net Systems knotless Dyneema nets with single-braid Amsteel. Terrifically happy and very comfy. (and lightweight
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 07:49   #6

By UV resistant zip ties, I do not mean the black ones. I'm talking about the blue ones made from Tefzel. Those ties are used in many outdoor applications with a life of 20 years at least. I'm pretty sure they would have a longer life then dynemma. They are commonly used on radio and cell towers (all over the world) to secure wire bundles.

Intersting about the stepping comment. I have metal grommets and never noticed them to be uncomfortable to step or lay on.

I've been thinking about this more. I'm pretty sure that once all the ties were in place there would still be enough "wiggle" room to manouver the connection to the bottom. This would leave just a flat zip tie showing on the top. Hhhmm the more I think about this, I might actually try it on my upcoming tramp replacement. If it doesn't work out, I can simply cut the ties and replace with dynemma line.
Old 14-05-2015, 15:30   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
By UV resistant zip ties, I do not mean the black ones. I'm talking about the blue ones made from Tefzel. Those ties are used in many outdoor applications with a life of 20 years at least. I'm pretty sure they would have a longer life then dynemma. They are commonly used on radio and cell towers (all over the world) to secure wire bundles. …....
I bow to your greater knowledge of zip ties and yes, interesting and these may work well.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 02:11   #8

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

Having installed a new trampoline a couple of years ago I've had to re tension it a couple of times since as it stretches / beds in. We used dyneema cord which has made this process easy. Not sure how cable ties will accommodate this.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 10:07   #9

Boat: SeaClipper 38 Tri

Regarding adjustment of the trampolines or nets, many zip-ties, zap-straps, or similar names now come with a small tab that makes them releasable and re-usable, for a slight increase in initial price. I seldom buy anything else now. This feature would make them easier to use in adjusting the nets. However, even the non-releasable ones can sometimes be made to release if you simply push a small screw driver or similar into the catch mechanism. This is not so much about being "cheap" as it is being convenient - it can save a lot of time if you would otherwise have to go and get new ones.
Thanks for this idea as I need to replace my nets. You are truly thing outside the box - er, net!

RR.
Rotten Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 10:11   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspeak View Post
Having installed a new trampoline a couple of years ago I've had to re tension it a couple of times since as it stretches / beds in. We used dyneema cord which has made this process easy. Not sure how cable ties will accommodate this.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Was thinking about this as well. As long as the tension leaves enough slack to allow a small "tail" to be pushed out of the zip tie connection, then it can be grabbed with pliers. Then just cut the "tail" off once its tightened. Another option is to just replace the ties. I'm considering using the cheap UV ties first, then switching to tefzel ties when I need to retighten (a year or so). Frankly regular UV rated ties are cheap enough that you could change out every year.
Old 15-05-2015, 12:54   #11

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

I like the general idea,but remember Rob James who was supposedly lost to the sea due to a broken tramp.
Be safe!

Sent from my C6603 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app